1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom Groovebass troubles!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jp1994, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I don't know what Kustom you are talking about but their tuck and roll heads and cabs from the 60's and 70's were known to be good stuff and had a great reputation from what I recall....

And to Plain Old Me's comment about dirty pots, chipped chrome, etc, not sure what that head went through, but mines been used and moved around from practice to gigs quite a bit since Feb and I have not one of those issues. Still looks like the way it did when I got it.

Kustom also recently stole one of the amp industry's finest. News quote here:

MAY 7, 2004. CINCINNATI, OHIO - Kustom is pleased to announce that renowned amplifier designer and engineer James Brown has joined the company as Engineering Manager. In this role, Brown will oversee the design and manufacture of Kustom products and supervise the company’s engineering departments.

For the past 17 years Brown was employed by Peavey® Electronics Corp., most recently as Instrument Amp Engineering Manager. There, he was in charge of all guitar, bass and keyboard amplifier projects and was the principal design engineer for many successful amplifiers including the Joe Satriani JSX®, the Edward Van Halen 5150®, the Triple XXX® amplifier, as well as the Classic® tube series, the original TransTube® series and many more

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

+1

3. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Like I have said before, I own a '66 Kustom head and cab. I have recorded with it and taken it festivals. Other bassists have used it at the festivals. Many have made me offers to buy it for over twice what I paid for it. The old Kustom stuff isn't bad, and despite being solid state, sound very tube like.

Now flash forward multiple decades and owners of the "Kustom" name...

The past decade hasn't been kind to the company. They mainly stuck to combo units and PA systems. All value priced and not all of it what would be called "high quality". You know, the step above First Act. I think that the Groove Bass head is their first step in becoming a name meaning quality in the business.

I mean, we all know what Kustom has meant the past few years. Would anyone buy a $1000 Kustom anything? Now be honest. That's right, short of a few people living on the edge, no one would buy it. They start with a $500 head that gives you a lot of bang for your buck and they build on it. Don't be surprised that within 5 years, we see more Kustom heads and cabs, all slightly better and more powerful. The addition of Brown shows they're planning something.

I really don't think we'll be hearing a lot more about Groove Bass problems. It wouldn't be in their best interest to ship their first major amp in 20+ years with a laundry list of crappy problems. Just my 2 cents. I plan on trying one in the next year or two. Being a poor country boy, I'm always on the look out for a good deal. Atleast till I get sponsored... ;)

That sounds like the store's problem not the amps. Dirty pots can be fixed in like 5 minutes or less depending on how the head is essembled. As for the finish, even the best ideas on the market will take a turn for the worst if not maintained. If they're displaying an Amp with dirty pots, I have a feeling that the mantaining the amp isn't on their daily "to-do" list :p

So pretty much, at this point I am going by what owners of the amp are saying, and less one malfunction, the feedback is good. So till we hear more negative feedback over the next year or so, I think this is still under the "great value" heading.

4. damn. well said, tommy.

5. Quadzilla

A big +1000 on that! :)

6. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    actually it was the 1001rb mark 1 (black and white ones, 540w & 50w)- like i have (sounds great and i've never had a problem with it)- that had problems. the mark 2 (grey & chrome, 700w & 50w) are supposed to be pretty frickin' good and reliable like gk's should be.
    :bassist:

and props to american musical for taking care of you- that kind of customer service makes for return customers :)

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm not trying to start something.. But to do with the Behringer/Kustom comments.
    For one, i've found some behringer gear very reliable for the most part, with a pretty descent sound, especially for how cheap they are. I havn't tried a Kustom, so I can't compare.

But the one thing that nags me and made me think about it with the Behringer thing. Is it only me who thinks the Kustom is too much of a rip off of a Mesa Pulse 600?

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i dont see it

9. If it is at least they covered it better than behringer who boast about what product they are ripping off

10. Quadzilla

Yeah but Behringer and Mesa don't have a babe like this! :D :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

11. Maybe they will have her deliver my new replacement head!!! :hyper:

12. pity she doesnt come with the amp :p

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    YES! ..Reliability too.

One thing I remember about the old apolstered ones is that I worked sound for a band about ten-or-so years ago inwhich the lead guitarist used Marshal, and had an ancient padded Kustom for backup.. I mean that poor thing bounced around a truck for EVER, not used. One day his Marshal fried, and he had to go to the Kustom. That thing HONESTLY had GOOD-sounding distortion - I'm saying the natural distortion of the head, by itself (He didn't use a pedal; he was a Marshal-purist, who used his master volume to get amp head distortion).

I was amazed. I've heard many amps in many bands, and I've heard bad, harsh solid-state distortion - this amp did NOT have that. It was a great rock guitar amp, all by itself.

Until recently, I didn't even know that the name was still around - I thought they were dead-and-gone. My memory and opinion of Kustom is that they are 'one of the greats'!

Joe

14. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Knowing Behringer, they'll probably steal one of her hairs and take it to the lab to make a clone.

15. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio

+1

Like I said, '66 Tuck n' roll. I take it to outdoor festivals all the time and often have to leave it in places I would rather not... I have pretty much come to expect that it will always fire up in the morning.

Though... and this is a biggie...

The Kustom's today are only Kustom in name sake. The original company was bought and dismantled years ago. This new Kustom is a bit of a re-birth. I really think that they are slowly just trying to work their way back into the professional music scene again, taking baby steps. So be warned, it's not quality of the Kustom name yet ;)

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    A history of unreliable products??? :eyebrow:

If I remember correctly...and has been pointed out, Kustom has a very good history of manufacturing good quality and reliable gear, . The Groove Bass 1200 is new, so there isn't much of one on this particular unit, but the history of the company is what piqued my interest... I a/b'd it against other heads and yes, I just bought one this past weekend.

Beside, the real test is support after the sale. jp1994 says he's getting a new one....no questions asked and I like the sound of that.

17. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA

Maybe in the looks department, the 600 is tubes, GB 1200 is solid state...hard to rip off two separate electronic schemes...but your point is noted

18. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    as someone already pointed out we wont know much about the reliability of the groove bass until it has been out for at least a year or two. no need to get excited people. :rollno::D

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I think you should always be excited about your gear...if not, sell it and get something you ARE excited about.

I agree with the 1-2 wait on the reliablity factor, but we shouldn't say something is crap because of one incident any more than we should say something is the greatest ever after a couple months...but again, musicians have a right to be enthused about their equipment.

20. Quadzilla

The only reason that I got excited was because somebody stated that this head might be "too good to be true". I agree with you, it's way to early to tell for sure, but thus far it looks good for the money.

1 failure out of the several heads that I've seen here on TB, HC and other bass forums is expected. Frankly I'm shocked that there are not another head or two that have had issues just because it's expected that you have some percentage of electronics product with defects no matter how well it's designed and made.

In any event, time will tell but for now, many of us are happy...