1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom Groovebass troubles!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jp1994, Apr 23, 2005.

1. The Behringer issue isn't so much that the allegedly ripped-off products look similar externally. The issue is that when the circuits are compared to the "original" product, they are nearly identical.

You'll find a decent number of heads that are going to look somewhat the same, but it's what's on the inside that we're concerned with as far as product copies go.

Back on topic: This sounds like one of those "infant mortality" type failures. These do happen with any product. I think it's pretty inane to jump to conclusions about a product like this, even asking if it's "too good to be true" over one failure on such a new product. This product is NOT proven in either direction. Initial impressions are very positive, and I'm impressed that such a good deal is out there. Give it a year, or more, then we can decide on how tough, reliable, and bombproof these are. I don't mean to take away from the experience or confidence of anybody owning or looking to own one, but you have to realize that this new product is not proven yet.

Given the reputation of old Kustom stuff and the new engineering staff, I'd have no doubts that these will be holding up. There's just no point in getting so worked up on either side about it.

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA

Well said.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    indeed bass ian. ive been looking at kustom heads for a while now and might give one a try myself.

when quadzilla mentioned other brands with issues i think he was trying to say that even the top dogs have random issues. im sure we've all heard of even the boutique gear having an issue here and there. with the kustom groove bass being so new to the market of course youre gonna have guys jumping to conclusions but i dont think mike_v_s meant to bash on kustom gear. i think his statement "too good to be true" is more of a question. maybe kustom gear is too good to be true? maybe its the best bang for the buck? we will find out in due time. :cool:

4. I was not bashing Kustom. I also did not say they were "too good to be true". I DID say no one should have jumped on the guy who did ask for being sceptical. People jumped on this dude like they made the product or something.

On a related note: I have considered purchasing one of these heads. I heard all of the positive ad nauseum. I look for dirt on products. I can make my own decision on sound. I want to know what might happen after it's purchased. With that, you're right, we will find out in time.

Mike

5. New replacement Kustom head just came in. :hyper:

Along with the return shipping label.

Not bad seeing I talked to them 2:30AM Fri. night/Sat. morning.

Props again to American Musical Supply for their excellent service(not to mention their no interest EZ payment plan and free shipping). :D

Let's see how this one does. :bassist:

6. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Bloomington, IN
    sorry to drag this old thread back out, but my GrooveBass' power amp fried tonight. First show i've used it at, had the gain at 1 o'clock, volume at 10 o'clock. Couple of measures into our third song, the sound cuts out and a billowing cloud of smoke rolls out the back along with some sparks. Unfortuntately, i got the amp secondhand just a week ago, traded my Mesa M-pulse 600 for the Kustom+cash with a fellow TB'er so i could have some cash to put toward my car's new transmission. So i'm outta luck on the warranty :( . I just hope they won't charge too much to fix it, anybody have any experience with Kustom's repair service and fees?

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Mesa is NOT a tube amp but it does have a tube pre amp. The Kustom is Solid state all the way If my information is correct.

8. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Bloomington, IN
    yup, you are correct. M-pulse=tube pre/SS power, KGB=SS

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wow, that's a bummer. Mine has been going strong since I got it in Jan/Feb of this year and it's played at LOUD volumes 2 - 3 times a week with practice and gigs combined. As a matter of fact, I'm doing an outdoor show this afternoon/eve. I ALWAYS bring a backup head and always have with any of the heads I own (as well as a backup bass).

So there are a lot of Groove Bass heads out there now, unfortunatly we have a couple of casualties, but believe it or not, it's perfectly normal. I've seen a lot of heads go up in smoke here on TB and out at shows and these were of all brands. It's inevevitible to have a percentage stuff go up in all electronic products, especially in ones that make a good a amount of heat and run high current... Just pat yourself on the back for buying a new product with a warratny vs a used head were you would be screwed!

10. Bummer that sucks.....also why I bought a new one.
    Sorry to hear that and good luck on the repair.

11. SebbyNC

SebbyNC

Mar 17, 2005
    Guadeloupe
    For those who don't know but wonder who is behind Kustom currently...

I saw in the user manual the name and address of BC Rich mentioned. Searching the web, I found that Kustom is operated by Hanser Holdings International Music, which owns the following brands:

B.C. Rich | Kustom Amps | Davitt-Hanser | NuVo | Floyd Rose | Aria USA | OLP | Traben | Micheal Kelly

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

To Xbradx and others,

I've emailed customer service many times with questions and also I had to warranty some PA speakers that I had once. I found their "Kustomer" service to be amoung the best I've ever dealt with. THe other cool part is that typcially you don't have to even send the head off, they have certified repair center in all states. Looking at the repair center list, I have 5 within 1.5 hrs of me.

More than likely they will honor your warranty even if you are the second owner. YOu could also ask the orginal owner to send you his receipt and just tell the repair center than you are him (and have moved to where you are now). Either way, I really don't think that you will have a problem.

Try emailing Mark Sharp in customer service at Kustom ( msharp@hhimusic.com ). He is awesome as is Wayne Hartman there. They both have really taken care of me in the past. They really do whatever they can to make things right!