Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom Heads. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PwX-Steve, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Hi

Today i came across a 100watt Bass head by Kustom.
    it is the 1980's Bass III.
    Because im new to bass and amp buying and stuff like that. Id like to know what you all think of this brand or any problems or anything like that. I like the price of this head but as i said, im very unsure of the brand. for all i know it could be grandpa joe out the back cooking up head amps and selling them. So any input would be great, before i go getting excited and maybe waisting money!!!.

Oh and if this is possible, could anyone describe the sound of the amp, like punk, jazz, metal and so on if this is posible. dont laugh if it sounds dumb cus im dumb when it comes to amps hehehe

cheers
    steve

PS: any input on Carlsbro cabs would be nice too!!!..

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm not sure I can give you a definitive answer, because Kustom has changed hands - perhaps several times - over the years. I have a very old Kustom 200 solid state bass head, circa 1969 or early '70s (I bought in used in '74). It has been indestructible. I've never seen a piece of electronics so reliable. That thing will probably outlive me. The thing about it is it has a noisy output stage - lots of "shot" noise (white noise background), and not much power (rated at 100 watts RMS into 4 ohms, with maybe 5% distortion). I'd have to plug in two 8-ohm cabinets to get its full output. But I used it for many years until I needed something with more clean power. I still use it as a practice amp, though. Kustom used to be one of the major players in the bass amp world "back in the day". That said, I can only guess about the quality of the newer stuff using the Kustom name. No experience with it. Maybe someone else in this forum has knowledge of their newer equipment.

- Mike

3. johnc

johnc

Dec 24, 2000
    Like Mike, I also have a Kustom 200 head from 1966 or 1967 and a 2x15 cabinet that I've been using since 1972. I'm now changing to an EV TL 1x15 cabinet that I had made for me and a GK 100w head - much cleaner and louder. Anyway, my Kustom was great for old 60's R&B - but it did distort quite a bit.