1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kustom kxb500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lax4bags, Sep 30, 2016.

1. lax4bags

lax4bags Supporting Member

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    So I just unboxed a Kustom kxb500!

Here is the deal.

This amp feels as loud as my Streamliner 900 and Markbass little Mark tube 800.

This is a reckless statement since I have not cranked it up all the way yet, but I could not play it with all knobs at noon with a passive p bass through my Genz neox 212t in my house without feeling like it was going to shatter something.

The eq is simple and the lack of mid options is actually refreshing so I can't worry about fiddling.

The tube is noticeable at barely on gain through all the way up without breaking up into facemelt territory like an orange bt or Streamliner. The Markbass lmt had horrible tube breakup that was not pleasant.

The response of the amp is tight like an Aguilar tone hammer without the dryness and not quite that tight.
    It is definitely tighter than the Streamliner. It is more like a Markbass amp but without the level of baked in warmth across the spectrum that makes it hard to cut with.

It is also smaller than I was imagining. The knobs feels quality and have good resistance except for the mid knob which is loose (it's a 500 or 700 hz pull out option).

It's is Tubey without being amorphous. It seems like it will cut through really well in a mix kinda of like a shuttle but not as clinical and oddly voiced (I never enjoyed my shuttles I have owned even without getting to the filters).

So that's it I have played every amp ever made (not true but I've played a good number) so if anyone is wondering about them I can try and respond with a thought or two comparing tones.

I'm diggin it.

Matt23 likes this.
  2. Alphaman and lax4bags like this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Don't think there's a tube in there? And where did you find one - they've been sold out for quite a while...

lax4bags and Gearhead17 like this.
  4. lax4bags

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm very familiar with that thread :) I think it's fun to see it pop up again and maybe get some more people to think about it. Mine came in original box with manual and rack ears and everything. It is also smaller than I thought it was going to be. I guess I thought it would be and gangly and awkward but it is a nice size. It will fit in my mono m80 gig bag pocket but I won't be able to zip it up so I guess I'll do a laptop back which is fine.

5. These are great amps... warm, punchy and loud as heck... I dig mine too :thumbsup:

lax4bags likes this.
  6. Matt23

Matt23

May 26, 2016
    England
    Ah man. I discovered these just as they became unavailable here in the UK. They are great amps. They have a weight to the notes that some other amps don't have. I had a Markbass at the time too, and preferred the Kustom.

lax4bags likes this.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Love mine

Mr_O'B likes this.
  8. lax4bags

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    Just played this amp through my new orange sp212! Nate Mendel p bass with custom shop 60s pickups with sadowskys blue label flats. Best tone I've ever had. Will try it out tomorrow night at rehearsal and report back. I don't miss the tweeter at all and if I crank the table I immediately reach for my tone knob to roll down, so high end is fine for sure for my needs.

9. lax4bags

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    But the real tone comes from the George L cable and heart shaped pick :)

Attached Files:

10. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I have one and dig it (posts and clips in the other thread). It's a punchy, quick head and has been nicely present in the mix whenever I've taken it out. The sound does have some interesting texture/harmonic content, but there is, so far as I know, no tube in there.

lax4bags likes this.