1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom Love

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 26, 2009.

1. I have been using and loving my old Kustom200 for quite a few years now and rarely, if ever, run into other bassists using them on the road.

Granted, i play a genre of music that is tremendously entrenched in trendieness... which translates to expensiveness. Lots of vintage Ampegs, Sunns, Mesas and Matamps.. but not too many kushy kustoms.

That being said, i have regularly gotten compliments on the sound that it produces and i could not have been happier. For a long time i didn't even use any pedals besides a tuner and an overdrive that acted more like a volume boost.

The icing on the amp-cake is how much i paid for it. $120 back in 03 or 04 (i can't remember). I don't even care that i havent replaced the cord and continue to electrocute myself on a regular bass-is(lol pun). I also have a sunn concert bass and my Kustom blows it out of the water.

Does anyone else play Kustoms?

There's no point to this really, i just love how great it still sounds and how it stands out these days with the plethora of what else is being played out of.

Oh... and i have TOTALLY used it as a pillow on more than one occation!

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I've got an old Kustom 1x15 Combo I picked up a couple of years ago for $90. I've used it for a few rehearsals but never played out with it.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've used alot of K-200's in the past and i love them too. the first one that i ever played thru was at the "teenage fair" battle of the bands contest at the hollywood paladium in 1969. it was a K-200 with two 2-15" JBL d140 cabs in cascade sparkle (blueish-green). we ended up winning the "battle" and got to keep all of the gear that Kustom furnished on the stage. i used that amp for years, and not only did it look cool, it also sounded great. now i wish that i still had kept that rig.

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    To the OP what cabinets are you using with your Kustom?

5. Haha they(the Kustoms) totally have an aquired visual taste. Mine is dark greyish and sparkaly with a purple "ON" light... yep.

The only other amps similar to them, that i have seen, in aesthetic value are the Earth amps (Also totally on my GAS list).

In fact, when i bought the Kustom, i was going back between it and an Earth head but decided on the Kustom... trendieness be damned!

6. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Better than a concert huh?
    I PM'd you with a question.

7. I switch between an old Ampeg 2x15 and an old Acoustic 6x10. Whichever cab isnt being used by the Kustom gets 1 of 3 or so random amps that i borrow from either a room mate or band mate.

I want to own another head and i am currently in the market. Who knows... maybe i'll get another Kustom! Haha, i know i'm not in the Trendy-Amp price-range, and for the ~$200 range, i havent really found anything better sounding than my Kustom200.

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I just got my Kustom GB 1200 this week and had a chance to compare it to my Carvin B800 at practice. I had been thinking about installing a preamp in my P/J bass but since playing it through the Kustom head I don't think I need a preamp after all. I don't think I'll be plugging the Carvin in again unless I need a backup some day :D

9. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    my big rig is a silver sparkle diamond pleated plush 1000s sitting atop a black tuck 'n roll kustom 2-15 with a pair of jbl d140's. great cab, but i wish i had something other than a civic hatch to haul it around in though! i'm probably gonna sell it soon, but it sure looks cool as all get out. and tone out the wazoo too boot

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I had a red metalflake 100 (15 inch combo) that served well...until the gui****s got their VT-22s! The Kustom was also very comfortable to sit on...

Kim

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yup.

12. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Hi Din of Win,
    Since you are still using your Kustom, you should change the cord.
    If you aren't sure how to do it, go to VintageKustom.com and do a search - they have instructions in several postings.

An alternative to putting on a 3 wire cord is just to install an IEC connector on the rear panel. It seems easier to me to do it this way.
    -Les S.

13. The_Basstard

The_Basstard

Jan 9, 2009
    Winnipeg
    My first practice amp was a KBA 15 or something. Great at low volume but turn the volume past 1/4.... "Blech blahhhhh brrrrrr pllllllll flphhhhh bzzzzz chnnnnn belech" Kind of ruined the Kustom name for me.

14. Wow... so you mean i DON'T have to shock myself any time i touch my bass strings and anything else metalic :eek:

I 'mean.. it IS a nice wake up call every now and then, but i will definatly be switching out my cord now!

Thanks a ton!

15. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I used a late 60s Kustom in the mid 70s and lost the rig in a fire. I now have a '68 200 head and the matching 2-15 cab, both in black. I use this rig as well as some other vintage stuff. The vintage Kustom stuff is one of the top 4 rigs that I like and use. The others being a '73 Ampeg SVT with matching 2 8-10 cabs; Sunn Coliseum 300 with 2 1-18 folded horn cabs; Acoustic 371=370 head and 301 1-18 folded horn cab. So you can see that the Kustom rig, while being 200 less watts, rates there with the cream of the crop. :cool:

16. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I use a Kustom Groove Bass 1200 head. It's not vintage and there is no tuck and roll, but this head rocks!

17. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    100_2310_00.

This old Kustom head kicks serious ass. Very loud amp. I always see them cheap too...

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1 Safety first! :eek:

19. I was looking for a nice practice amp and stumbled across a Kustom KBA65 in almost brand new condition on Craigslist. I have been playing Ampeg for some time, so never really thought about other amps. I was very impressed with the sound on this amp, and it was in wonderful shape. Has a 1x12 celestion speaker, onboard effects like chorus and flange, and a very nice notch/frequency filter. I have not really had a chance to totally jam on it, but from what I can tell, it is pretty solid. I love the custome look of it. Grey grill cloth with some sparkle to it and the nice chrome plate with vintage looking knobs. Can't wait to put it to the test later this week!