Kustom or Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theshowcaseadam, Mar 22, 2005.

1. theshowcaseadam

Mar 22, 2005
    i was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on both the kustom groove bass and the ampeg svt-3 pro. I know that the Kustom is solid state and the ampeg has a tube pre-amp. Besides the considerable difference in warmth that the ampeg has over the kustom, does the kustom still have a reasonable enough sound to gig with? If anyone can give me their opinion on both of these amps, it would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well... a lot of it is personal situation. It depends on if you like loud music and play a really large places... or if your into moderate volumes and medium to small gigs. Also, tone is a factor.

The common theory on the SVT 3Pro is that its just not powerful enough for many people. Well.. "power" may not be the word to use... "volume" is probably more appropriate, since a lot of players get by with 400-500Watt heads of other brands (such as Eden).

In my personal opinion, the 3Pro sounds absolutely fantastic. I found it to be amazimgly flexible. I could have it clear as day, or deep and gritty. The preamp tubes and driver tubes, I think, are an excellent knack. However, with its lack of "umph", I declared it not to be worth its own $900 pricetag.

A couple weekends ago, I went on a little voyage and got to play a Groovebass at a local guitar shop. It made me pretty happy to know that there was such a sweet deal out there on the market. If this thing came out a year ago, I'd have one by now, because of its ability to go down to 2ohms. It can change tones, but I have to say, its not as versatile as the 3Pro. But what can you expect from a fully SS head?

So in the end, it may depend on your needs and your finances. If you wanna have a mega-loud rig and do outdoor festivals... I wouldnt recommend the 3Pro. But if your not demanding immense amounts of power, or if you have a LOT of speaker surface involved in your rig... maybe its for you.

Either way, the Groovebass is a sweet deal. I cant see you losing out with it.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1 one on the Kustom. Click the link in my sig (below) for info on thi cool head!
  4. The SVT 3 Pro lacks the bite that you get with an all tube power section, thats what i personally dont like about it

Never tried the other one
  5. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Being a kustom Groove owner myself, I highly recommend it. I dont think Ampegs are worth the price tag much anymore. I've heard alot about them breaking and whatnot.

But some people here would kill for an ampeg, and would throw the Kustom away, so it all depends on personal preference. Go out and find a store with them both, and play on them for a while
  6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

Would add that choice of cab is a factor here. I use my 3 Pro with a super-efficient, 4-ohm Schroeder 21012, and have absolutely NO lack of volume / shortage of headroom. Mate it with a less-sensitive, and possibly 8-ohm cab from another mfr, and it does seem to run out of gas.

If you're planning on a less sensitive cab, then the Kustom may be a better choice.