Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom or Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist_anubis, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Hi, I need to buy a new bass amp (under $300 Canadian) so I was looking at two.

Kustom KBA-30
    30 WATT, 1x10" BASS COMBO w/ CELESTION SPEAKER. VOLUME, LOW, LOW-MID, HIGH-MID & HIGH EQ w/ A NOTCH FOR FILTER CUT. EXTENTION SPEAKER & LINE OUT.
    or the

Marshall B25 MKII
    25 WATT, 1X10" BASS COMBO w/ MASTER VOLUME, BASS, MID & TREBLE. HEADPHONE OUT.

The Kustom is $200 and the Marshall is $265. I want to know if the Marshall is worth the extra $65? Is the Marshall a better quality(Sound and durability)then the kustom, or is it just the name that is expensive?

Thanx

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    $65 isnt realy a big differnece when it comes to buying amps. mabye the marshall is the extra $65 because its a well known brand, and your playing for the name. if you choose to go with the marshall well thwn you could try and talk the store guy down $65.

the Kustom seems to have more tonal control, and has 5 extra watts (not that that will be noticable). Id go the kustom. more for less

3. Personally, I'd go with option C--none of the above....I'd either look for something used, or look at some of the other combos out there, with more power.

But if you've definately decided on one of these two, I'd go with the Marshall. Yes you're paying more for the name. And in a few years, if you sell it, it'll still be worth something (unlike the Kustom), because of the name. (The Kustom amps are trying to hitch a ride on the legend of their old tuck-and-roll namesakes, IMHO.)

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    damn man. $265 seems a bit high for 25 watts. USED. or get an swr la-15, it's 100 watts and is really really nice.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

Please stop BSing the newb. The SWR LA-15 is a horrible amp, especially for the money. I'm selling mine after christmas, now that I have an all-tube Fender Bassman 135. But please don't trick him into thinking the LA series is good. You'll just be giving him a false sense of what good tone really is.

6. i agree i say c none of the above u can get something way better for less or the same amount of money go used man. i think u can get one of the yorkville series amps for under 300 i say go for that.

7. kasC06

kasC06

Feb 9, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Kustom. i play the same amp ( the 30 watt) its great for small spaces. with the marshall your just paying for the name. i say go with the Kustom :bassist: