Kustom Tuck and Roll, 2x15: SIZING: Series 200 size vs Series 250.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blue, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    Probably only a curiosity, but I have a new-to-me Sparkle Blue - cabinet only. Apparently the actual cabinet size varied - a bit larger in the Kustom 250 line, vs the smaller Kustom 200 product line - and I'm trying to figure out which series is this box.

Anyone know the actual cab' sizes for the two versions?

Truth is I already have D140's lined up (*Selling these Guitar Speakers), so ... just a curiosity for my provenance (smily face)

Crappy Pic, and TIA !

IMG_0389.jpg

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    man, why risk vintage D140s on bass? or is this just to complete the collection and sit in the house looking cool?

why not put in something modern that's way beefier (and the right tuning for the cab of course) so you can use the cab without fear?

3. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    My bad - I said D, I meant K140; with two, I should be good for 3-400 watts. That was for the vibe - I know that speaker (at some level) - had this rig in the early 70’s with D140 - long gone, but I’m not wed to them. Always resale value

I really hadn’t considered new drivers that are better suited to the cab - back in the day that was burgeoning technology.

what have folks upgraded to?

mikewalker likes this.
  4. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    … and original Q too - for which cabs , which drivers

5. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    You can tell if it’s a 200 vs 250 series by the grill. All solid black grill is 200.

And they never outfitted 200’s with K140’s.

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i could see if you were powering it with like an ampeg V4 or something in the jam room, that would likely sound pretty good. i'd be scared to use a 300w cab live with a modern 800w bass head though, one stray transient might be the end

Blue likes this.
  7. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    and it’s an all black grill, afaik, so Series 200

But they did D140’s, and K is a reasonable alternative - agree?

8. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    I hear ya, and I don’t know (lol) … plan was to use as a show piece in a show band, and push it until the cones start to cry - then let the house add whatever else they need … probably a QSC 1804 w/ 600 @ 8 ohms … so short of a session with John Bonham, I’m probably good.

but … what alternative speakers have you heard and liked?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  9. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    They did indeed do D-140s back in the day, and they sounded pretty dang good, IMHO. And yes, the K-series is a 'plug-in' replacement. It's the same driver with a 'Kapton' plastic former for the VC.

Edit: The 1804 sounds like too much power for a couple of K-series. Plus, I'm guessing these are 8-ohm drivers, so a 4-ohm total load, yes?

Rezdog and Blue like this.
  10. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    Nope - 16 /2 = 8 ohm cabinet.

I bought two used, one seems "workable" at 16 ohms - I'm having the other re-coned there. Hopefully the "workable other one" will last - taking some chance with it, but seem an acceptable risk.

11. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    with bass? on vintage speakers? :nailbiting:

12. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    bass (D-std tuning) … and, ok, some exaggeration, but yea, push ‘em occasionally - although that speaker naturally has a sweet sound, especially when a couple are paired. 4 is a better number of D(K)140’s, but two is all I plan.

PS: not vintage, reconed

13. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Sidebar question: I was gifted a Kustom 2x15, non T&R just a plain black vinyl/Tolex and the model number just says 2 x 15 and a SN on the ID plate on the rear. Is there a site that shows what these cabs are in terms of drivers etc? I've had a look but I think my search-fu is not working so well. TIA.

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    these being old-school JBLs they're pretty efficient right? a lot of noise with not much power?

my first instinct is a 300w or so bass amp would be about right then, i think that would let you push them a little without so much risk of letting out the magic smoke. so like a typical 4-500w at 4Ω head, leaving you with 300-some odd watts at 8Ω

Blue likes this.
  15. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Not especially efficient, about 97dB or so, or average for a 15" pro driver, low power handling and low Q/high Vas.
    I've owned quite a lot of these and don't see a reason for the mythology around them. There are better modern drivers especially for the elevated prices the vintage units bring. Unless you can measure them thoroughly, it's hard to know if they've been abused or not and whether they're to spec. If they've been reconed and it's not factory, they're not worth much at all.

16. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hmm

yeah, i have to think a pair of eminence kappas or something would be a much better bet for fearless live use, a lot more performance for a lot less money

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  17. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    STRONG username-to-speaker-cab-color correlation...

Hurricane Jimmie, mikewalker and Blue like this.
  18. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    Coincidence - but Hell Yea !!

2112 likes this.
  19. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Southeast Penna
    I’m open to suggestions - alternatives tried and true in this cabinet.

20. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    If this cabinet is truly original, that means it was designed in the early 60s before Thiele and Small came up with the math for correct porting. I would get modern drivers that are optimized for this enclosure. That will get you much better performance and reliability.