Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kustom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dorknamedsami, Jan 6, 2003.

1. dorknamedsami

dorknamedsami

Jan 5, 2003
    Florida
    I have never heard of this kind of amp. Does anyone know if it is a good kind or not? I picked it up at a pawn shop a few months ago. It's not that bad... but...

2. Old one or new one? The old ones had the infamous Tuck and Roll upholstery.

Here's some info on old ones.
    http://www.vintagekustom.com/

Some like 'em, some don't. I think Creedence Clearwater Revival used them back in the day.

If it sounds good to you, it is good.

Chris

3. Infamous? I think they look badass

4. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    As far as I know the new ones have that "lumpy" look too, not just the old ones.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    james jamerson used a kustom for the big live gigs

used the ampeg b-15 for the small ones

6. The old stuff came out in the late 60's. There entire line was killer compared to anything else that was out there. The bass amps came in either a 2x15 or 3x15 cab with CTS speakers and either a 200 or 400 head. You could order JBl speakers at extra cost. I personally liked the 2x15's CTS that came in my black rolled and pleated 200. This was a big step up from a Fender bassman or even a Dual Showman at the time. They also made the 1st PA I ever sang through that had seperate EQ for each channel and Seperate effects(spring reverb) for each channel. Oh yea, it only had 4 channels and 200 watts. The PA speakers had 4x12's and you could actually sing 4 part harmony through the thing without a lot of distortion. One of the best features of the old Kustum was the warranty. LIFETIME.