1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustome Groove 1300 vs GK 1001rb II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vittu, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Hey guys ive done a few threads asking about amps but im still trying to learn more before I empty my wallet. I have been thinking about the GK 1001rb but I saw the kustom groove 1300 and wanted to know which is a better buy?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Kustom vs. GK?

Well, unless something has REALLY changed with Kustom, this is like comparing the Washington Nationals to the St. Louis Cardinals...

GK = Good.

3. thanks for the input, but what is the problem with kustom stuff?

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Well, here's a vid of the 1001RB ~ would you really want to miss out on this?

5. don't count out that kustom though, they're actually phenominal sounding heads, very much in the GK tonal category.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, that would suggest a real change. Back in the day (as in, the '70s) Kustom gear was just... well, solid-state muddy. I know - my first amp was a Kustom!

Now, that blue-glitter tuck & roll CAN NOT be denied as VERY cool, no doubt... but if the electronics aren't good...

I guess I'd have to hear a Kustom head in-situ, as it were. I know the GK gear I've used/owned has been very good (if not way great) so until I hear a Kustom (tuck and roll or otherwise), I'd go GK...

7. GK.

8. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    I would not get either one ,i had a rb1001 very sterile get the 800 instead,i played thru a kustom groove 1200 it sounded great " this was in a studio " i later found out it fried itself sorry but that's my experience with these amp's

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The Kustom Groove Bass amps are sound VERY good, IMHO. Nice and warm with just the 3-band eq, and the graphic for fine-tuning. Loud and a little heavy compared to some of the new micro stuff, but still not too bad. Not really hard much in the way of them "frying" themselves, so I wouldn't be too panicked about that. I've not owned one, but I've played through one a few times. I wouldn't be shy about playing any size/type of gig with this head. This is not the same at all as that 70s tuck and roll stuff.

The GKs are good amps. I've not played through the 1001RB, but I've owned a couple GKs over the years. Crisp and clean, but I wouldn't ever use the word "sterile" too describe an amp.

The Kustom is going to be warmer and fatter, while the GK is going to be more punchy and focused. Both are good, but they will sound different.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

G-K is pro-level gear, and has been tour tested MANY times over - Kustom, although greatly improved - is not in the same league....

- georgestrings

11. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Maybe a better word for the rb1001 is cold i could not get any warmth for that amp,i am speaking ' by itself without the help of effect's,that being said if i had to choose one it would be the gk.

12. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Try the 700rbii I like the tone I got from it more than the 1001 and ended up buying it instead.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed 100% - I wouldn't trade my 700rb-II even up for a 1001rb-II, because of the tonal differences - and the 700 is much louder than it's 480 watt rating would lead one to believe...

- georgestrings

14. thanks alot guys