1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kvetching about my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 21, 2010.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've been playing with a guy for about 10 years now. He's the guitar player, I'm bass (duh). We have always clicked pretty well and long ago, we were quite good friends. But as of late, things aren't really great.

The quick background is, we have played together since we jammed back when we worked at GC together. The drummers have come and gone, but our most recent (as of about 6 years ago?) has been solid and the three of us jive well.
    We have a lot of musical friends and from time to time, they become band mates. A few keyboardists, a couple sax players, percussion, whatever fits in. In essence, we try to function as a funk band, overall.

Couple years back, we pick up a guy on sax and he's a good dude. Younger than us, different sense of humor, but overall, a good guy. However, it became clear that the concept of "FUNK" eluded him. He was good for a melodic jam band kind of thing, but good old fashioned funk wasn't working for him...

Fast forward to the last gig we play (at a private party, held by my boss, month and a half ago), my friend the guitarist just starts laying into the sax guy after the show... and people at this party are not out of earshot. He is just berating his abilities and telling him to quit playing in a band and take lessons.
    I was shocked, and though I knew it was always a bit of an issue, there's a time and place for everything and this was inappropriate.

I had been seeing a bit of a change in the guitarists' personality over some time, but this moment really made me question my ability to work with him. I honestly started to dislike him after that.

Mix in the fact that the guy claims he wants us to be a funk band, yet every time we play, it ends up (mainly) as some sort of endless jam session.
    The songs he writes are slow, plodding, chromatic, jazzy guitar masturbation that puts me to sleep.
    BUT THE SAX GUY ISN'T FUNKY... :rolleyes:

Currently, the band is down to the three of us and 2 guys who are like manager/producer/percussion guys who come and go as they please (I like them a lot, they are very much like-minded to me).
    Our keyboardist NEVER shows up for practices, but makes it to the shows and gets paid. He's a phenomenal talent and if he could focus on us, we'd have a great project going... but he's busy with bigger, better bands.

So basically, the issue is, the guitarist has our gear at his house and we practice there mainly (drummer's place is alternate). He's sort of the "Leader" of the band, as he's the guy whose house it is.
    Our jams and covers went from "funky and fun" to "phish-like jamband annoying and slow, painfully lame jazz."

I personally would like to tear it down and start fresh with the same people, but part of me feels that the ship has sailed and it's time to accept my fate in this band and ride it out... stay the course and accept that my weekly band thing is what it is and just try to enjoy it...
    That, or quit.
    I don't want to do either, really. The three of us have enough talent to pull off whatever we could imagine. Problem is, the lack of imagination. The 2 producer guys have great ideas and could help out tremendously, but their ideas fall on the guitarists' deaf ears and nothing gets accomplished.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

2. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    This situation sounds a lot like a marriage gone bad. It's probably time to move on.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Funny you say that... when I read through this, it's exactly what it sounds like: A marriage gone bad.

4. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    You're burned out on'em. Happens all of the time.

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I love playing with the drummer, he's a monster and we lock in perfectly.
    And when the guitarist is on, he's on. But it's like he doesn't want to play what he claims we should be playing.
    What's funk guitar without a wah or some dirt? He plays with them RARELY. And I know he has it in him to do what it takes, but dare I question his playing?!?! He has a little guitar-player-style hissy fit.

6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I think you should try talking to him anyways. It kinda needs done, either to get him back on track, or find out where he’s at so you can start thinking about what you’re going to do.

:)

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

I aree with Tom.Your situation does not sound positive at all. Move on.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    He may be burned out by his day job. Or something else in his non-band life is stressing him out and he found a convenient target. Since this is something new that's popped up, may be worth a try to discuss it with him.

Another possibility that happened to me (and just recently fixed): Some of his vitamin levels may be seriously deficient.

At very low levels, Vitamin D3 and B12, can have psychological symptoms.

Since this can be fixed wither over the counter stuff, there's no downside to trying it. It may take a few weeks for the vitamins to kick in but hey, if it works, so much the better.

I took 2000iu of liquid D3 and a liquid B complex that includes a high dose of B12 for 3 months. Then cut the D3 to 1000iu(new recommended minimum dose). Kept taking the B complex because B is water soluble and any extra get peed out. Based on lab results, my levels rose significantly.

I'm a lot calmer, think clearer, can concentrate much better and my short/long term memory recall it tons better. The vitamins relieved the deep fatigue depressive type symptoms that never seemed to go away no matter what I did.

One other thing, lack of sleep or disturbed sleep over a long period of time will do the same thing.

YMMV. IME/IMO, etc.

9. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    He's got back problems. That can explain it. I'm sure a few other levels are off to boot.