Kylie Minogue "Spinning around" bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Murf, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Hi Guys/gals,
    I've recently had to learn the bass line for the Kylie Minogue "I'm spinning around" track (you know the one with the video of her weraing those golden short shorts.....mmmmm) and that bassline is SICK!!!, God allmighty thats a great bassline, question is Who played it?? I have a sneaking suspicion it was either Guy Pratt (there are some licks very reminiscent of Sophie Ellis Bextors murder on the dance floor) or Incognito's Randy Hope Taylor..

any ideas?
  2. I've just had to learn this line too - I agrre -it is a great bass part.

Don't know who played it on the track tho.....
  3. According to, Phil Spalding is credited with Bass throughout the album from which the single was taken.
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    WOW this dude has been busy (robbie williams, kylie, randy crawford, bernie torme, dubstar....etc etc..) I know his name from somewhere else and I'm wracking my brains as to where..

Anyone got anymore info on this guy???

The funny thing is more and more studios are using pro-tools and sampled bass for a lot of rock/pop tracks whereas some of the best live basslines at the moment can be found on dance tracks....

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Dont know who did it but. I sure would love to be the bassist that rumbled her bottum end!lol Sorry had too
  6. Murf

Mar 28, 2001

7. markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Phil Spalding is a great bassist and played on loads of stuff - almost a successor to Herbie Flowers in that respect. You might know him from the early 80s when he was a bona-fide member of the Toyah band (Anthem/Changeling) before moving on to Mike Oldfield (both groups with mega-drummer Simon Phillips) and then GTR with Steve Hackett and Steve Howe.

Back in the 80s he was a Precision player (black/maple) before playing Steinberger.
  8. mertsever

Apr 22, 2010
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

wow! she's hot and so is that bassline albeit repeating!
  10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    That's where I remember the name from! Thanks.

On a (barely) related note: Guitarist in my band just picked up a weird used Fender something-or-other that was autographed by the Steves Hackett & Howe.
  11. I've always only known Phil for his work with Oldfield, so it's been great to see and hear him again while discovering Toyah's music recently :) In some video clips he can also be seen with a black/maple Ibanez; Here's a great gig (minus its audience - What the heck?!) with said Fender though, and also a rather young Simon Phillips: