1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kyuss - Sandpiper

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Mar 2, 2008.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I didn't get into these guys till just recently and love the bass track on "Sandpiper". What's he using there?

2. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    i am not exactly sure who is playing on that one, but i think it is sky valley era- i would guess scott reeder. if it is him, the bass is a lefty rick strung upside down, with the E string (in this case tuned to B or C#) on the bottom. it's hard to tell what he's using for amps at that time, the cabs look like ampeg 8x10's but the grill cloth was either replaced or coated with something that made them show UV light. they projected an oil projector/lava lamp type thing on the band as they played at that time, and the only place it showed up was the grill cloth. which i can assure you, was completely awesome. i can't find a good picture of the heads he was using, but they almost look like guitar heads... marshall or matchless.

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Hello Nobody! Tonight we have a very special musical presentation. So kick back and stretch your sack, cause here's Kyuss with "Un Sandpiper!"

4. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    I recall Reeder in an ad for the Ibanez ATK talking about how they tracked "Sky Valley" with it. I know it's just an ad, but nonetheless... I love the tone he and Chris Goss got on "Valley" and "Circus."

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    That's going to be a real hard question to answer, only because the Kyuss guys were (and are) known for being really tight-lipped about their gear.

But if you like ...Circus, you'll love Blues For The Red Sun.

6. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    I found this pic of Scott a while ago, not quite sure where but I think I got it from his Myspace page.

The dude is pure rock, one of my biggest influences. It's a damn waste he hasn't really played for anyone full-time, at least for an extended period, ever since Kyuss split :(

Attached Files:

7. Kyuss splitting was a waste. They are easily my favorite band ever. I like Queens and all but it just ain't the same.

8. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I used to see Kyuss a lot... and he was always using really overdriven SVT's and a Ric. There may have been pedals, but I never saw 'em (and I looked.. saw that he was always barefoot). I know he did that ATK endorsement for a while, but I never saw him use it live.

9. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    I was just thinking, although Josh Homme seems adament that a Kyuss reunion will never happen, perhaps the others could do somehting without him. Brant Bjork is a pretty capable guitarist, as is Scott judging by his solo album, though I'd rather see him stick to bass than get Nick Oliveri in. I'd still love to see them play regardless of who they'd have on guitar (so long as they could play the songs).

I'm sure the other guys aren't nearly as wealthy as Homme, and could probably do with the extra cash. If Homme's not willing to spend a bit of his time helping out his former bandmates or doing something for the fans who got him where he is today, then screw him, leave him with his ever worsening pop band and overinflated ego.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    There was a mini-Kyuss reunion a few years ago, Josh and John hit the stage at the Wiltern and played a few songs. I loved Queens until the last POS album, ugh. Well, I still love their other stuff of course. :smug:

Saw Unida in a tiny club in LA a few weeks ago, incredible stuff. They are now back together, which is the best news I've heard in ages. I don't know the bass dude's name, but he is certainly friggin' awesome. LISTEN TO THEM NOW.

I have no idea what Reeder (if it is Reeder) uses on that track. It rules whatever it be.

11. Mr. BooBoo

Mr. BooBoo

Dec 12, 2007
    Dousman,WI
    Just wanted to be apart of the scott reeder is awesome club..and kyuss kicks elephant ass.

That head looks like a 70's svt to me.

12. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    I have a bootleg of this show, would be awesome if a soundboard recording would surface. Personally I started going off them when LTP was released. The lack of Lanegan and Oliveri has made them a bit meh IMHO.

Awesome, I had no idea they were back together, hopefully they'll make it over the pond for a tour :) Didn't Scott play bass for them for a bit? Shame he didn't rejoin them.

Also, I was watching my Kyuss bootleg DVD from German TV, some "Bizarre" festival from 1995. Scott is indeed using an Ibanez ATK (looks like a 300 with a rosewood fretboard). He also has a backup with what appears to be a maple fretboard. Not a Rickenbacker in sight. Also for his backline, it looks like an Ampeg SVT-VR (or earlier 70's version), with an Ampeg-CL (or earlier version) as his back up, at least it didn't seem to have any leads going into it, and 2 8x10 Ampeg cabs. I took a few blury screenshots.

The sound of this set up BTW, even on this DVD is friggin awesome! :)

th_79540_reeder01_122_641lo. th_79559_reeder02_122_805lo. th_79567_reeder03_122_10lo. [​IMG]
    th_79574_reeder05_122_433lo. th_79638_reeder06_122_207lo.

13. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    WOOO KYUSS. I love this band. Scott Reeder is great. I need to get that bootleg live DVD

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I just happened upon a fantastic live Kyuss DVD, it's in New Orleans, '95. Complete with the psychedelic lighting and the parachute for a backdrop. Even better, despite the fact that the audio is from the camera's mic, you can still hear everything!

Kyuss is glorious. Desert Music rules.

edit: wow, I posted in this thread when it was new. That's a strange sensation.

15. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    What album is sandpiper off of? I can't find it in my collection.

Edit: I found it; it's on Muchas Gracias, the one best-of album that I don't have.

16. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    And before Muchas Gracias, it was the second song from the Gardenia single.

I got my DVD using a torrent from http://www.dimeadozen.org but you have to register for that site, and they often reach the sign-up limit. If enough people show interest but can't sign up for dime, I'll start a torrent on Pirate Bay or something.

Sweet, now I gotta go find this! :)

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, dude, it blows away the Bizarre Festival footage, and you can watch most of the Bizarre Fest. stuff on youtube, for those of you interested.

If you can't find it, I'd be happy to hook a brother up. :ninja:

18. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It's not even a best of. haha.

19. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    This is true, although the youtube resolution sucks, the sound is okay. It gives a decent enough idea.

There's a torrent for the NOLa show on Pirate Bay right now, if anyone's interested.

20. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England

Are you sure about that? I just finally got around to watching the NOLa show boot, the quality sucks compared to the Bizarre footage (which is soundboard quality). Especially the sound, I find it unlistenable, and it's not like I never listen to any non-SB recordings or anything.

I'm a tad disappointed TBH :/