Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I did a search, and there are no threads specifically about these fellas, and I figured I'd correct this injustice. For those of you who don't know, this is the band Josh Homme of QOTSA was in before QOTSA.

What's everyone's favorite album? I was told that Blues for the Red Sun was best by a number of people... it's got a nice vibe to it, but few hooks. It's just kinda there. And the Circus Leaves Town on the other hand, since I bought it about 2 years ago, I've listened to it at least over 100 times. But then again, I got "Blues" about a month ago and it hasn't had time to settle with me.

I also Dig Scott Reeder moreso than Nick Oliveri on bass, Scott's tone has more presence, and his grooves more often play off the guitar instead of following it. Size Queen's "Chorus" part I think is a perfect example, Josh Homme is playing a fast little guitar riff, but the bass/drums are slow and heavy, therefore it has this huge groove to it instead of just METAL!!!!!!
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Quick rundown of what I think of their cds (got em all)
    An the Circus Leaves Town - is said to be their weakest album but I really like some of the songs on that one
    Blues for the Red Sun - Really cool cd. Almost all the songs are memorable.
    Welcome to Sky Valley - To be blunt : It is amazing <--MUST buy
    Wretch - Their first cd. I like this one the least. No real reason but I like the others much better than this one.

If you like the vocalist his current projects are Unida, and Hermano. Hermano just put out a new cd which is really good clips on

Unida are kinda stuck in the mud because their latest was recorded in 2002 and Island Records refuses to release it. You can't buy their old cd unless you buy the LP from You might be able to find it on Unida's official site but the label they were on that produced 'Coping with the Urban Coyote' went under...
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mmm, the singer is OK, but my least like element of the band. That's the only thing I dislike about Circus, the vocals sloped a bit. I think his vox could use a bit of reverb or something, because he does sound really... well dry.

I think I am going to cruise for a while. :)
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh, and what you've said about Sky Valley I've heard about it from several sources... so that is on the must buy list.
  5. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Lotsa great bands on
    check out
    On a Pale Horse
    Black Lamb
    Sunn (this band is the definition of BOTTOM END)
    Alabama Thunderpussy
    Monster Magnet

So many good stoner/fuzz/doom bands on there.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I own every Monster Magnet album except Superjudge and Tab... and I'm looking to remedy that shortly. ;) I'll check out the bands you listed.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I have Blues...; I dig it. Hard to find their stuff in the "country", so I have to have it ordered or else I would own all their albums.

Cool vibe to that band.

8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Damn you Matt, you are one better than me, I don't have spine of god, in addition to those 2 you mentioned.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Spine is amazing. The production isn't great, clearly low budget (I could do better, but I rawk :ninja: ) But the songs beyond make up for it. They take the whole hippie thing to the extreme. The title track... damn. And Black Mastermind is like 2 minutes of song, 4 minutes of jam.
  10. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Fu Manchu is another good band that has/had ex-Kyuss members, I can't remember which memeber is in Fu Manchu but the latest album is pretty rockin.

Also my band plays a style sort of like these bands but a little more leaning towards Black Label Society, only without the nasally vocals (yea I know selfless plug but I can't help it) :bag:
  11. I love Kyuss, Blues is awesome. I always look for Circus anywhere I go but can never find it.

Also , you should check out Comets on Fire - Psychedelic Sonic overload is what they are.

and Clutch- Good ole Stoner Rock in the Magnet vein
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In regards to Fu Manchu - I honestly never got the appeal. I own California Crossing, some cool riffs... the drummer is bad ass. I know for a while, the Kyuss drummer was in Fu, I don't know his name though. But yeah, I listened to the new album, and I could have swore I was listening to the "remastered" California Crossing. 90% of their material sound the same to me. Meh, maybe it's just me.

I think I need to get further into Stoner, Comets on Fire sound more like what I'm trying to get into. Floaty guitar... mmm... I <3 Delay.
  13. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    From what I've heard of Black Lamb I've liked, I hope they get more popular soon.
  14. Kyuss kid

Kyuss kid

Jun 4, 2005
    I know this thread's kinda died, but well i love kyuss, so so much. I have ALL their albums, that includes the Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age split which has an amazing cover of Into the Void, they do it kinda like Sabbath until about half way through where they take it off into some crazy, trippy desert jam which just blows me away every time. Plus i got their best of; Muchos Gracias, it's probably the most satisfying "best of" ever conisdering half the songs aren't on any of the other Kyuss albums, so yeah if you're into Kyuss you should get that. Other than those two my favourite albums have either got to be Blues for the Red Sun or Welcome to Sky Valley, Blues for the Red Sun is kinda more spaced out and yeah it's true Sky Valley has more hooks to it 'cos the songs stand out more, towards the end of Blues... it all kinda merges into one which is by no means a bad thing of course. Scott Reeder is such a badass bassist, he plays off Josh Homme so well and does so many little variations that to me just make it all sound so impressive but he never sounds like he's showing off, he's one cool guy, and Kyuss are one very very cool band.
  15. Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Since this thread is brought back from the grave I'll throw in my 2 cents.

...and the Circus leaves the town is the best from what I've heard (that is Circus...,sky valley and Blues...)

Have you guys heard 60 watt Shaman? Their "Reason To Live" album is produced by Scott Reeder. It's okay stuff, heavier than Kyuss. Still like Kyuss better.
  16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've just bought Blues for the red sun, and damned, what a great band!
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I got the split a while back... it really bums me out that they broke up after this, it shows how awesome Kyuss really is. It's a really jammed out split with lots of extra percussion.

NOW, Sky Valley is my favorite Kyuss album :ninja:
  18. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I don't see why people don't like the vocals. John... I forget his last name. I thought he had a very interesting sound.

That said, Scott Reeder is a dinosaur on the two albums he did with Kyuss. He has the chops and the tone. And from what I hear, is a really swell guy.

I really get into Oliveri though. "Thong Song" has a simplistic, but bad ass line. "Green Machine" has that bass solo in it. So, I'd say as far as bass players go, I am very heavily split on who I like more in Kyuss.

Also, didn't they have a drummer change when Oliveri left? From Brandt to Alfredo? I don't know how the band wrote, as it were, but that could have some effects on the sound of the music also.
  19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Wow, I've never such a low opinion of The Man himself, John Garcia. :D

I didn't start listening to Kyuss until a few years ago, and I have since scoured the earth for all things related to them. I don't have everything yet, but I do probably have about 20 various albums from all the Kyuss alumni.