1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L-1000 control diagram oddity

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Madcity Fats, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Poking around the G&L website, I found the following L1K diagram:

http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/L1000_controls_diagram.pdf

Notice that the switch is listed as a 2-position type providing either series (w/ bass boost) or parallel. Also, it appears that they've got the positions listed backwards (with "forward," which I assume means toward the neck, providing the boost mode).

The other thing that's weird is that the diagram is of a back-loader, which leads me to believe this was created long after G&L had been making L1Ks with the 3-position switch.

G&L never actually made an L-1000 without the single coil option, did they? Also, why is the OMG mode routinely referred to as "single coil w/ bass boost" when it's actually series w/ boost?

Any ideas? Obviously, I'm not going to lose sleep over any of this. Just found it very odd that this diagram looks nothing like my '81 L1K's config.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you understand the wiring on "single coil with bass boost", then that name makes more sense than "series with bass boost". Basically, that mode is wired the same as series, but with the high end from one coil pulled out via a capacitor- so you are getting just the low end from the first coil in series with the full signal from the other coil. Essentially a single coil sound with added bass ("bass boost"). You are getting slightly less overall signal than series, so it doesn't really make sense to call it "series with boost". It doesn't really sound/behave exactly like single coil either, due to the series connection- but the name "single coil with bass boost" does make sense.

I've never played an L1000 with only 2 modes, but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me (though they would have had the 3-position switches available anyway for the pickup selector on the L2000s- same switch).

Karl

3. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the OMG explanation, Karl. That's pretty much what I suspected from perusing the L1K wiring diagram, but I'm happy to have the confirmation since I'm generally kind of lost when it comes to reading schematics.