1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L-1000 dislikes (if any)

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Kawai-chang, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Hi guys.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an L-1000.

I've been reading up on them here and elsewhere. Anybody have any picks to nit with these basses?

I am impressed with all the positives that people have shared with this bass, but I do like to hear both sides of every coin.

Any hairs to split?

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    A little sweeter overall tone than that of the soloed L2000 neck pickup to my ears (Which I was skeptical about myself- I'm guessing from the lack of interference from added controls/pickup), but overall pretty similar in tone. The L1000 has an added single coil position on the coil switch, and the series is replaced with "single coil with bass boost". You can use a search to see what that entails- older L2000s also have that coil mode instead of series. Its pretty much a passive-only L2000 with 1 less pickup and slightly different coil switching. If it were possible and I were you, I'd try a L1000 and an L2000 back-to-back to see which I prefered first... I often only use my L2000 in modes that are available on the L1000, but the real deal-breaker for me on my old L1000 was just that it didn't have a bridge pickup to use as a thumbrest when I played!

Karl

3. Thanks for the input, Sunbeast

4. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I love my L-1000. You'd be hard pressed to find another passive bass with such massive output. And the tonal options are pretty amazing, given that you get both treble and bass cut controls (not to mention the switching options). The difference between this setup and a single tone knob is more remarkable than you might think.

I found the key to dialing in tone on the L-1000 is to play around with cutting not only the tone controls, but volume as well. Fact is, the MFD pickup is so hot, you need not dime the volume -- a fact which gives you a lot of dynamic control (think of the volume knob as going to "11").

Admittedly, I'm a fan of the passive stuff, so the recommendation to try an L-2000 is probably a good one if you don't have a strong opinion about it.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    No downside by me.
    car1kfront.
    afterfront2.

6. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Darn it, Chef. Every time you post a pic of that sweet CAR beast I get antsy about my soon-to-be new baby that's being born at the factory even as I write this.

You're not helping manage my childlike anxiety. Then again, that pic of yours is what tipped me toward the CAR/maple combo, so I suppose I owe you thanks for that.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yer welcome;)

8. Lew

Lew

May 18, 2008
    No complaints here. Best bass ever!!!!

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    OK...if you juuuuuuust gooottta have a dis:

The L1000 (and L2X00) are really flippin hawt basses in terms of output.
    Some amps-especially if they don't have an input pad-can get "clippy" from the hot output.
    Solution: roll the volume shut a tad.

Hey, you asked for dis's.

10. The only reason I sold mine was that I preferred the L-2000 and it was seeing less and less use. I found that everything that has been said about it here was true.

Mike

11. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I was going to say that. The big output isnt always friendly with amp inputs from what I hear but I have not had a problem with that personally.

Otherwise the only downside for me is that sometimes I want the L1000 to be an L2000. But then I have an L2000 as well so it doesnt matter much. I love em both! :D

12. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I've had 7 different L-1000's. The only thing I dislike is the fact that I don't have them anymore.