1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L-1000 problem

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by surfgarage, Mar 2, 2008.

1. surfgarage

surfgarage

Aug 21, 2004
    Hi guys, throwing this out to you G&L neck experts. I have a beautiful 1980 L-1000 which unfortunately now has the infamous ski jump. Starting at the 12th fret the action gets higher for a few frets then gets lower again right where the neck and body come together. Fretboard is maple. What to do? take it in and have it worked on by a good luthier or is there anything I could do. I did see a while back a thread on using heat to repair the bow but it was never explained on what one had to do. So what are my options fellow G&L'ers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all might have.

Eddie

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    See the bold.

Jim

3. Price a replacement neck from G&L and elsewhere and weigh the cost against the cost of repairing the neck.

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    unobtainium.

Not really but $500 is the ballpark. You can get a Status or Moses Stingray neck but for a real G&L neck it has to go back to the factory.

Jim

5. Michael Dolan fixed one for me. Not exactly sure what he did, but it was 4 years ago and it's still fine.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I had a 61J with the same issue back in the 80's. I had the best Luthier in Dayton, OH (forget his name but he worked at Ace Music) pull the upper frets, plane it, and refret. It wasn't cheap, but it saved one hell of a nice neck (slab Brazilian Rosewood). I still play that bass today.

Dave

7. surfgarage

surfgarage

Aug 21, 2004
    Thanks for the quick replies. Templar, what did Michael Dolan charge you to fix the neck and how long of a wait did you have,

Eddie

8. He did a refret & nut for $235. Round trip was less than 2 weeks.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    werd

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    This, or a combination of this + heat, is what I've heard of M Dolan doing to save other G&L necks.
    Google him, call him...

11. surfgarage

surfgarage

Aug 21, 2004
    $235.00 and 2 weeks is not bad at all. Seems like a quick and easy fix actually Thanks Templar.

Eddie

12. Yeah, and he does great work. Thing is, my bass was playable even with the 'jump'. But I needed to send it to him for frets and a nut anyway, and I never mentioned the ski jump issue to him.

When it came back the neck was perfect. He did'nt plane it or anything, just part of the routine setup procedure that comes with a complete fret job. He knows what he's doing.

13. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Was that maple or rosewood fretboard?

Jim

14. Ebony, Jim.