1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

L-1000 string choice

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by fretwear, Apr 21, 2009.

1. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I've been trying different strings out on a couple of vintage L-1000's :bassist:and was thinking of going with Dr Low Riders on one. What gauge is recomended, LH40 Lite 40-100 or MH45 45-105? Thanks for any and all info!

2. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    TI Jazz Flats. No need to look elsewhere... got them on both my vintage L-1000s and they sound tremendous.

hth...

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    As a huge DR strings fan I can highly recommend.....TI Jazz Flats. Unless you slap they are the ones for this bass.

4. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Q and earl are pretty much on, TI's sound great. That said, i find that Daddario nickels give a bit more cut and growl on stage, but still stay in that warm, vintage-y zone. Dads on a maple board Wunkay with a pick in the OMG setting is ......well.....kinda frightening...:eek:. Plus, you get that Ronnie Wood '53 P sound in single coil.

As always, with anything involving your ears, YMMV........

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I gotta say- I generally am not a big D'addario fan, but when I had my L1000 I also really, really liked it with D'addario Nickels. Though I should add that I seemed to have a little more trouble cutting through a mix with those strings than with DR Sunbeams for some reason...

Karl

6. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Dunlop nickle round's are NIIIICE...

TI Jazz flats are a +1 as well.

7. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Great info!! What is the prefered gauge for Dunlop and DR Lo Riders? Thanks in advance!

8. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    For rounds, the TI SuperAlloys sound super sweet with the dual coil MFD.

I don't currently have an L1000, but on the L2000, the DR Loriders sound horrible.... and those are my favorite rounds in the whole wide world. The low end is incredibly boomy. The TI's sound like they were made for MFD's!

Ljazz

9. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    45-65-85-105 on the Dunlops.... another great perk is that they are a good bit less expensive than other comparable rounds. They are about the only rounds I use now...

10. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    +1 on the TI flats, with the treble turned down, D and G produce the sweetest mids.

11. TI's are very nice on the 1000, but don't overlook a set of Chromes for a bit more muscle.

I still say the biggest sound on earth is a 1000 with Rotosound 77 flat cables. In the manly 110 ga, of course.

I'd play 'em, but I aint man enough.

12. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I dunno 'bout that. You did own The Pimp, after all.....

Back to the OP:

I've had TI SuperAlloys on my L-1000s for the last several years. They sound great, good feel and lots of low end thump. And when I say years, I mean that -- I don't change them. Ever.

That said, the TI SAs are expensive. I was using the Dunlop Nickels for while but looking back, I think I had a couple of sets with bad A strings. I'd get some weird intermittent wolf tones and buzzing on the open A. Happened on a couple of basses. Thought it was just the way I was setting them up, but the problems went away when I changed out the strings. Weird. That said, the last few sets of Dunlops I've used seemed to be OK....... :confused:

13. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    For rounds, I really like the sound of the TI SuperAlloys on G&Ls...I've got them on an L-2000 and L-2500 fl and they're killer...especially as they age.

14. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

So, I take it you swapped the Dunlops for TI Flats on that L-1000 I sent you a couple of months ago?

What was it about the Dunlops you didn't like? I haven't tried them on my L-1000s (only on my vintage Fender stuff and a couple of others) and I was wondering in anyone had used them for long enough to get past the initial clankiness that I loathe with any strings.....

15. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really tried to like those strings on my L2000, but just found them too dull to cut through a mix after just a couple weeks- they did sound great soloed though. Oddly, TI Flats seem to cut through a mix much better on the 2000 even after 4-5 months (I just have one set of the TI Flats that I've been rotating through my basses- though they've finally settled on my Darkstar'd Jazz for the time-being, nearly 9 months old and still going strong)!

Karl

16. GGJaguar

GGJaguar

Jun 15, 2005
    TI Jazz Flats or Super Alloys for me. Most of my L1Ks are wearing the flats but a few have the SA's for a brighter, more aggressive sound.

GG

17. BIGBEE

BIGBEE

May 27, 2006
    + 1 on the TI flats, although the chromes are a good choice too, i think the TIs are a lttle easier on the older basses as far as neck tension goes(IMHO)
    regards steve

18. Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys are the bomb on an L-1000.

19. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    TI flats always sound great on a G&L. For a poppier sound, any Nickel round should do. D'addrio XLs can be had in two packs. My present favorite Nickel string on my P bass is Fender 7250s. I bet they would sound great on a G&L. But given that mine is wearing TI flats and I dig it, I probably will hypothesize on that thought for some time.

Gauge is a personal thing. I have been all over the map. Presently, I tend to prefer the standard 45-105 in both sound and feel. But TIs are the exception.

And string gauge is kinda like underwear size. Its hard to get someone to answer that one for you.

20. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for all the feedback, it's great to know what others are doing when it comes to the L-1000!!