1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L-1000

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by mntngrown, Mar 1, 2008.

1. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    OK guys, I don't make my living playin bass and have my third G&L since I got back into playing. Currently two l2k's. There's an '81 L1000 hanging on my local Craigslist for 700.00 . Aesthetically, or should I say sonically, is there a compelling reason I need it cause it's got MO...jo sound wise than the tukay. I read the thread where Chef says if he could only own 1 bass it would be a Wunkay. Apparently it's big deep passive sound? Better than a P? Thanks, is 700.00 the market rate for ash and maple? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/588742374.html

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thats a fair price for a good condition 2nd year L1000 (they can go for less on Ebay every once in a while, but you'd be paying shipping and not be able to check it out in person before buying)- assuming the truss rod works smoothly and there is no "ski jump" in the neck (usually something found on the old 3 bolt necks with micro-tilt screw where people over-tightened the neck screws around the tilt screw, causing the wood to compress and sometimes "bump" noticeably over time where the neck meets the body of the bass- in other words, there will be a couple frets that are noticeably higher near the end of the fretboard making low action impossible). Unlike with Ebay, you can go try it out- things to look for are the "ski jump" (if the action is set high, you may be able to eyeball it), test the movement of the truss rod and whether turning it actually does anything, look for finish checking which is sometimes hard to see in photos, and weight- older G&Ls can be extremely heavy (Anywhere from 8-13 lbs, hard to predict!), test the electronics (especially the coil switch). Basically everything you should look at on any bass, but specifically check for the first 2 on an old G&L!

Definitely a P-bass killer in my opinion- but far less midrange, so it doesn't neccesarily sound like a P except in certain settings.

Karl

3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I too, started playing again recently and also have 3 G&L's. L2K, old SB-2 and a wunkay. I originally resisted the L-1000 because I thought it would be redundant with the L2K. Everything I read here and on Badassbassplayers said it wouldn't be redundant and that is what I found as well. If you like single coil sound and love G&L's it's a must have.

4. I used to have L1000 - bought it right after they came out for something like $500. I sold it about 6 years later and now I wish I had kept it - or at least had the serial number so I could try and find it. They are great sounding basses - I still want an L2000.

5. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Thanks for all the info guys, (especially all the inspection instructions Sunbeast), maybe I'll check it out.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I saw that when it was posted.
    If I lived closer, I'd be checkin' it out.
    Fair enough price if it's all good.

I already have three 1000's, all fairly different from each other. Neck and body woods seem to be fairly impactful on wunkay tone.

7. L-1000 is my bass of choice. Great tone. My 1984 has an L2K neck on it which is fine. It's a player. My 1980 doesn't come out much...

8. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Chef, can you elaborate a little more. I've got a beatup 1K hog and saw (in Sam Ash of all places) a natural 1K with an old school headstock (which I prefer) that looked brand new. They're asking $900 for it which is way high but........ I want to know if the reason to get a second one.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The only reason you need to get a second one is to want one;)

All three of mine sound different, perhaps due in part due to different body and neck woods...

10. francisl2500

francisl2500

Jul 19, 2006
    quebec
    wunkay ? what does it mean?
    excuse my english and thanks for an answer!
    Francis

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    "wunkay" is slang for L1000K
    "tukay" is slang for L2000K

ok;)

12. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
  13. francisl2500

francisl2500

Jul 19, 2006
    quebec
    Thanks chef i appreciate
    Francis

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Francois; glad to help.
    You're english is much better than my french!

15. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I'm prolly the only one :bag: but I dont care for those nicknames. Its a nickname for an abbreviation. Im sticking with 1k! :rolleyes::D

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    it's all good man.

non-conformist.

17. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Except try doing a search on the forum for "1k".

18. Agree about doing a search. Try G&L too - doesn't work.

19. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Hmmm apparently I never have but good point... :bag:

20. Caimanson

Caimanson

Dec 2, 2007
    Use the google search option, the forum's engine is pretty useless IME.:bag: