L-1500 or Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squierplayer120, Mar 22, 2005.

L-1500 or Stingray

Poll closed Mar 29, 2005.
  1. L-1500

2. Stingray

1. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    which one do you liike and why?
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I like stingrays over the g&l. Nice slim necks, really bright and punchy and simplistic eq.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    poll says it all, stingray
  4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    L-2500 vs. Stingray5, now you're talking contest.
  5. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    ditto dat
  6. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Stingray all the way, better quality, and sound
  7. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    I voted Stingray, however I would have made it L-1500 or Sterling.
  8. Ok, guys, ur help and advice needed now.

I just got my Sr5 lefty delivered, been playing it for 3 days non-stop, and i love it to bits

tone, punch, quality of workmanship just brilliant

so what does the G&L have over it? it was my second choice, but a lefty was a big problem and they really didn't want to do it, even though my money was ready to buy....

what was with that???
  9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Doesn't make sense... are you saying you couldn't order a new G&L as a lefty or your dealer wouldn't order a lefty?

Also, IME, G&L and Musicman are both neck and neck in the quality department - both being superb. That comment above is balogna.

[edit] Oh, and given the poll choices.. I'd go with a Climax.
  10. Right, don't you mean L-2500?
  11. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Have my suspicions that much of the poll results are based on the fact that Stingray is ubiquitous and L-1500 a fairly rare beast. We usually vote for what we know

Agree that G&L and MM quality have little to choose between them other than IMO G&L having the more striking finishes.

Tonewise they are different with the G&L winning in the aggression department - just no way to tame that sucker!
  12. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Having had both, the question for me would be MM Sterling vs. L-1500 with #6 neck (I like skinny necks). And the winner in that contest would be . . . a G&L Climax (predecessor to the L-1500 with a skinny neck standard and much less expensive than a Sterling).

I agree that fit-and-finish/quality is pretty much equivalent between the two (I might give an almost unnoticeable edge to the Ernie Ball instruments).

Tone-wise they are somewhat different. Feature-wise while I really like the EB truss rod adjustment the G&L MFD pickup adjustability and tone and the active/passive option edge it out. And it doesn't hurt that a G&L Climax can be had for in the neighborhood (often under) of $500. Used L-1500s are also unpopular and a great deal.
  13. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Well, i picked Stingray vs. L-1500 because they have the same pickup combo, and are both made by former Leo Fender companies.
  14. dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    But most of us G&L fans would buy an L-2000 - I did.