1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

L-1500 Ordering Madness

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Nedmundo, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    A couple of months ago, I decided to order an L-1500 based on playing one at a shop in Northeast Philly. I spec'ed one out for them, and they were supposed to call me with a price, delivery timetable, etc., so I could decide whether to place the order. They never called, and it's a sort of chaotic place (albeit with some amazing stuff) that does very little G&L business, so I figured I'd fallen through the cracks.

So a couple of weeks later, I ordered from a great shop near my office. I probably have five weeks until it arrives.

But I just got a call from the Northeast Philly shop, who ordered the bass anyway! :eek: Not only that, they have it already, and are asking $200 LESS than I'm paying for mine! :crying:

I'm rapidly losing it. I think I need to go home and spend some quality time with my P-bass. And a Phillies win this afternoon would be nice. Some cold ones maybe...

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that , I sent an email to a bunch of G&L delears before placing my order and I was amazed at the difference in price quotes I got from dealer to dealer.

3. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Are'nt you obligated to the first store as well as the second?

4. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    No, because I didn't place an order with the first shop. I left them with the specs, and they were supposed to call me with a price, at which point I'd decide whether to place the order. They didn't even have a G&L price and option list on hand when I was there. When I explained this, the salesman just started laughing, and didn't seem bothered at all. He's a very nice guy. I got the impression he wasn't surprised at the lack of communication. Like I said, it's a chaotic (and thus fun) place.

I'm feeling a little better now for two reasons. First, one of my bosses is going elsewhere, and while contemplating cleaning out his office, he gave me a bottle of Chivas Regal. Then I got home and checked my receipt, and realized the difference between the two shops is only $140. The price I remembered from shop #2 included sales tax.

So, even though I still wish I could go pick up my L-1500 RIGHT FRIGGIN' NOW, I'm settling in for the wait again.

5. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, I was surprised too. My first choice shop (mile from my office) wouldn't budge off the Minimum Advertised Price, which would have been around $1,300 IIRC. I tried to explain that "Advertised Price" didn't mean "selling price," but they wouldn't move. You can save hundreds by shopping around for G&L, and with a good deal I think you get tons of bass for the dough.

6. Was it Cintioli's?

7. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes indeed. Great place, but they were sort of weird on this.

8. Yep.