1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L-2000 neck question

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by BillyRay, Aug 30, 2008.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I foolishly played a used USA L-2000 yeaterday when I went for strings. The neck was perfect for me: very meaty, wide at the nut and was it me or that thing has next to no taper in thickness at the nut ? Basically the best next I've ever tried and I've tried 6k customs... The sound was also very good, altough I can't se me using all the switches and what not, I'm a p-bass kind of the guy. But that thing really delivered.

Since it's almost brand spanking new (2007 model, guy decided not to buy it...) it's way out of my league @ 1050 $ Still a bargain for something that lists @ 1700 around here... So I was wondering if the Tribute had the same neck ? The store didn't have any to try out. Might be a cheaper otpion.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    The L 2000 Tributes only come in one neck size i.e. 1.75" at the nut. You can get different neck sizes on the USA G&L's. From what you described, the bass you tried probably had the 1.75" neck. The Trib. has the same pups and electronics as the USA model. Soundwise they are almost impossible to tell apart. If money is an option then the Trib. is an excellent alternative IMO.

3. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    You don't have to use the switches. Find a setting, and don't flip anything. Just remember what was where.

I find the 2K layout easier than some foo foo basses with five to eleventeen knobs.

Jim

4. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I'm sure this is what is going to happen if I ever get a G&L. But I gotta give props to that bass, even when the active preamp is engaged, it doesn't sound too "modern" or "scooped". It still has strong warm mids. The passive mode is way too good though.

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I find that this is my approach. A lot of the settings, I would never use with my style of playing. They sound cool and there is a lot of variation there...I just don't need them. I find more of my tonal variation when using the L2000 is by way of the tone controls.

Kim

6. My Tribute L2000 has a 1 5/8" (think StingRay) very thick neck. I thought the Tribs came in 1.75" (Precision), 1 5/8" (StingRay) and 1.5" (Jazz) widths.

7. Tributes have only ever had one nut width. Current Tribute L-2000s are 1.75".

Details here.

Ken...

8. I just measured again-- its still 1 5/8", so the website says I have something that doesn't exist. Also- the custom neck widths listed on the site don't include 1 5/8".

Weird.

9. Is your L-2000 Korean-made, Indonesian-made, or USA-made? You said "Trib", which I assumed to mean Tribute; G&Ls import line. As currently shipping from the Indonesian factory, L-2000 necks are specified as having a 1.75" nut width. That's all that is available, or so we're told unless they changed the width and didn't tell anyone about it. I don't have any recollection of the Korean Tributes and how they were set up.

The "custom" necks are for the USA instruments only.

Ken...

10. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204

Older L2ks (and by "older," I mean 80s-early 90s - way before Tributes) had 1 5/8" neck widths.

11. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Early 80's, right? Weren't they 1 11/16" in the late 80's / early 90's?

My '87 SB1 is at 1 11/16's..... wicked neck.... I love that neck.

Ljazz

12. There was a fair amount of variability back in the day. What we now call a #5 or #7 neck could have fallen anywhere from 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" at the nut. They were completely hand made and a lot of the building was done by feel. It got a more consistent when BBE came along, but they were still hand made up until fairly recently when everything went CNC.

It should be noted that the CNC machines do the basic shaping. All finish sanding is still done by hand, so that small variability remains.

Ken...

13. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I can't believe that I'm the first to suggest looking into gently used US-made models. The price will be a bit more than a new Tribute but a bargain compared to new.

Good luck in your search. You have already had some good luck by stumbling upon G&L.

Peace . . .

14. After owning a Tribute and getting and American L-2000, I would have to say the American neck (standard, #7 I believe) certainly has more heft to it. When measuring my Tribute I think it was closer to 1 5/8 at the nut, not quite the 1 3/4 most folks claim it is, UNLESS there was so variance over the years.

My Trib was purchased in early 2006, so perhaps the dimensions shifted a bit ?

If there is anyway to swing the American, DO ! I found mine to have a much wider sound, less mids, more highs and lows, despite having the same electronics. Perhaps a good chuck of wood can make that much difference ?

15. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I have a Korean Tribute L2K that feels like a nice P bass neck. For the money, the Tributes are a great deal. Especially when you run across a used one. I got mine on Ebay a few years back for around $300. The list price is going higher but with the econmomy being so slow, I have seen a number of affordable used Tributes as of late.

I have owned a US G&L as well. There are things about the Tribute I like better. But the US G&L sat in a mix better. But I suspect that was do to the Wood differences.

16. My Tribute (Japan) has 1.5" neck.
    I love Jazz necks, so is what I would have chosen, got it not knowing, from Japan. (thought I was getting Korean)
    Was double happy !!!