Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L-2000 Newb - which switch does what??

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by David Studenick, Mar 9, 2006.

1. I've been doing some tire kicking and I like the L-2k/2500 basses. Nice neck for sure.

Was demo'ing one yesterday and couldn't figure out the switches. Figgered somebody here could lend a hand.

Please to 'splain me the switches.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Front switch (closest to neck) - pup selector

Middle switch - series/parallel

Back switch - passive/active/active-with-treble-boost

3. Thanks - now if you could, which switch position is which?

And series/parallel is pups in series/parallel and not any coil splitting nonsense, right??

Also, are the tone controls boost only or boost/cut?

Thanks again..

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Tone knobs are cut only, which is why they still work in passive mode. Pretty thoughtful, really.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Real series/parallel. Can't remember which way is which, but series will sound a bit fuller, parallel a bit cleaner/sterile with less noise (great for recording)

back switch - Passive is switched toward the bridge, middle is active, and toward the neck is active with treble boost.

6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Knobs are flat all the way clockwise, cut all the way counter-clockwise

Series is towards the neck, parallel back towards the bridge (on USA, I think the Tributes may be up/down instead)

7. The last switch (at the bridge end) controls the active circuitry. With the switch in the last position (towards the end), the bass is in passive mode. In the middle, it is in active mode. The last position, towards the neck, is the "Oh My God" mode, active with additional treble boost.

Well, with team work, you probably now know the control functions of the L2K as well as anybody! :bassist:

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks , I will now be ready for when my bass comes in a few weeks.

9. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The OMG mode is the L1K single coil with bass boost Rob.

That mode on the 2K we haven't named yet.

Jim