Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L-2000 problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deepestend, May 17, 2005.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Hey,

I got to a gig a few weeks ago and my bass did not work at all. Of course, it was the only time I'd ever not brought an extra!

Anyway, I just decided to try and figure out the problem tonight and I'm stumped. It's a 1985 L-2000. When I plug the bass in, I get no sound at all. I switched out the battery and opened it up to see if any connections are broken. It all looks okay. Any suggestions on what to check out next?

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Maybe your output jack died.

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I would take it to a tech to diagnose. When I got my L-2000 (used), the jack was faulty and would only get a signal when the plug was in just right. If your problem ends up being a faulty jack as well, try emailing G&L customer service, they sent me a new jack for free when I told them about my problem.

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I will definitely take it to a tech eventually... I just wanted to see if there was anything else to try out first.

5. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    Sorry to hear the nightmare we all hate so well. One old axe pooped out on me at a little backyard bbq show when not one, but two of the tuning machines broke and of couse I also had no spare! Well fellow survivor, I never had your problem happen with the L-2000 I had, but I did step on my cord once and I assumed my bass quit until I finally tried a different one. Those things can take years of abuse, hold up great, but then part when they take one more tiny bend in a weak spot. George L's cords are awsome: they need no soldering, you just snip the length and screw it into its 1/4" ends, so you can break one and fix it faster than a busted string. Superior signal quality, too. Rule out the simple problems first and good luck with that bass.

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for the response... I actually tried using a different cord-- and another bass on that cord to see if it worked, it did.

I also replaced the battery... oh well, I guess I have to take it in!