L-2000 Strings - Forgive my Ignorance

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Althius, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    First off, forgive my ignorance. I have read through FAQ and related articles... I just need a little more advice.

I just bought a new Tribute L-2000. Can anyone tell me what strings it came with? Are they any good?

Should I change them out? Might the La Bella Deep Talkin' or DR Lo Riders be a better choice?

Once again, please forgive my ignorance... I know so little in the world of electric bass, but I am trying to learn.
  2. phephron

May 5, 2004

Welcome. There are many people much more knowledgeable in this forum than I, but since there have been no replies, I will jump in.
    I have no idea what strings come on the bass. The G&L Webpage and the G&L Appreciation Page don't make any mention. The string review has a lot of good information. I just got a USA made G&L L-2000 and am also looking for good strings for it. I think that I am going to try the Labella Deep Talkin' Bass and the DR Nickel Lo-riders, or the DR Sunbeams (nickel). Keep in mind that changing out your strings may affect the setup (if the strings are different sizes you may have to change the bridge, neck, etc.) and you might want to check with the store that you got it from and see if they will re-do the setup for you if you buy new strings without having to pay for a new setup. In the meantime, enjoy the bass, and practice. If the bass does not have the "sound" you are looking for, it is more likely you than the bass, or the strings at this stage of the game. I wish that changing out my strings would make my bass make me sound like Chris Squier, but it has not happened yet.

3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have heard that G&L puts SIT strings on their basses. You can get them at juststrings.com if you are looking to get some more. I have also heard that TI powerwounds sound great on G&L's. I'm planning on trying some on my L2500 soon.