Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gbenner, Jan 19, 2003.

1. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I went to the local Guitar Center and saw a mint L-2000, its mid 90's I think, natural gloss over swamp ash, with a rosewood neck. It also has the jazz neck, and plays and sounds like a dream. I went home picked up a few old toys, and made a trade (no cash) for the bass. I love this bass.Its my first active, it took some time to figure the switches out. It gives you so many sounds.
    What settings do some of you use, and what kind of strings. Im use to using TI flats but will they limit the range of sounds im getting now. The bass has rounds on it now but im not sure if I should leave them or what brand sounds good on G&L's.I have the TI flats on my SB-2 and they kick butt. Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks.

George

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Good purchase. You can get all kinds of great soounds from a L2000. You may need to back off the volume and the bass knob a little so not to overdrive your amp.

As for strings: so far the almost universal opinion of best strings to match the L2000 is TI Powerbass (I share the same opinion). Their monsterous tone goes really well with the L2000 MFD pickups.

-KB

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn, interesting. Do the TI Powerbasses come in a 5 string version?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I believe they do... check out the Dude pit, Steve sells them.

5. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Good decision on the G&L. I have an L2000E that I bought back in 1982. It's a great bass, heavy as hell, but a great bass. The fit and finish on these are as good as some high end basses. It'll never let ya down. I don't play it very much anymore but I'm hanging on to it anyway! :cool:

6. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Thanks guys. KB, I just ordered the Powerbass strings, what kind of life do you see with them. I've been getting over a year with the flats, they seem to get better with age. With DR rounds I was only getting around two to three months.
    This bass does have some great sounds, and so far I think I prefer the passive sounds to the active, but I havent tried it with my band yet.

George

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    powerbass last fairly long. They seem to have life in them for about double the time of DR strings I have used.

-KB

8. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    It's evil! Don't touch it!

"Cleese voice on"
    Thank you very much, thank you very very much!!!

That movie is one of my fav's.

George