1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

L-2500 Tribute Options

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by DavePlaysBass, Dec 10, 2006.

1. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    In one of those places were I am thinking about turning the Sadowsky fiver and getting a L2500 Tribute. I am a finger style player that wants clarity in a busy mix. I also have a Tribute L2000 that I may leave rounds on and put flats on the L2500.

So L2500 Tribute owners, what wood comibination do you have and what do you think? I will most likely buy prior to playing.

I think the maple / ash combo may be better for the B string but be on the bright side.

The rosewood / ash combo may be a good balance. But I fear that an inexpensive single rod neck may have better last if it is maple / maple. And I have heard some say G&L fret work seems better on the maples.

What do you guys think of the basswood L-2500s?

Thanks,

Dave

2. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Ash body/maple board. Its got sustain like a piano. A very good bass for the money, for sure.

The maple boards on this Trib is not finished the way my others are. Instead of a glossy maple, which is what i have on all my US maple G&Ls, the Trib board seems like its only got a light satin finish, more like what you would find on a traditional rosewood board. I don't think it adds a lot of brightness to my bass.

It also stains pretty easily. I'm careful about cleaning my hands before I play, but I used this bass frequently on a weekly outdoor gig a couple summers ago and the board picked up a lot of grunge 'cause we were sweating quite a bit out there in the NC summertime.

fwiw.