Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L-2500 (US) vs. Sadowsky 24 Fret?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was just looking at an add for G&L featuring the L-2000 and it reminded me that this instrument was designed by Leo Fender himself. Therefore, it is logical to think that the
    L-2000/L-2500 can be seen as successors to Leo Fender's original two-pickup Jazz Bass design. Similarly the 24 Fret Sadowsky with its humbuckers could be seen as a modernizing of the j-bass format.

Since Sadowsky's have a wonderful reputation and G&L is seen as kind of a favorite among those in the know, I'm curious how these two instruments stack up head to head. I don't have any experience with Sadowskys but I own a Tribute and I have played several USA L-2500's. My guess is that the basic comparison might go like:

-more versatile electronics, G&L
    -lighter, Sadowsky
    -tighter B, Sadowsky
    -higher resale, Sadowsky
    -value for money, G&L

Am I missing anything major?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Before I bought my 1st Sadowsky, which happens to be a 24 F5 with EMG40J's, I played an L-2500.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The L-2500 was my main gigging bass. It sounded great, played great. When I deceided to try my 1st Sadowsky, I brought along my L-2500 aling with my US Spector NS-4. Soundwise, for me, the Sadowsky blew them away. The clarity of the Sadowsky is (still) amazing. The L-2500 was very nasaly & midrangey in comparision.

I ended up selling the G&L mainly because I I was liking the wider string spacing at the nut of the Sadowsky. Even though the Sadowsky sounded great live, homew, & recorded, the L-2500 sounded good in my band setting.

3. Never tried a Sadowsky, someday I wish to. I can not compare the two but I don't have Sadowsky cash. It's either have a variety of basses or have one. I stick by my choice so far. If a bass goes down for the count or gets stolen, it won't be the end of the world. I have another to take it's place in a moments notice.

The G&L's IMO sound great in all band settings, recording, and during practicing by myself. I guess it all depends on what you are willing to pay for.

4. If you are considering a sad, you've got the funds to build a custom. Just an alternative to what you might be after, based in your two-choices. You really should try to play a few G & Ls and see if it is your thing. If not consider a used Sad.

Or, get yourself EXACTLY what you want.

I could not find a 5-string jazz that met my requirements: affordable, U.S.-made, 36" scale-(for both form and function). I liked the Sads but couldn't afford one.

not to hi jack the thread- below is my experience with a custom.

Then I read Michael Dolan's little budget classified listing in Bass Player. When i found out he used to build Alembics in the 70s I did not require further credentials.

I got an aweome 5-string jazz built to my specs for $1,500 in '98. I would put mine up to anybody's vintage 5. Dolan didn't scrimp either- hipshot ultralight tuners and detuner key (low A), highly figured maple fingerboard, graphite reinforced truss rod and he even threw in a Levy's gigbag. These are options that many others would likely have nickel-and-dimed me on.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not worried about buying a Sadowsky at this point. I have too many other bills to take of. :crying: I was just curious about how the Sadowsky 24 Fret stacked up against a L-2500 because the concept behind both basses seems to be pretty similar and I know USA G&Ls have very good build quality even if they don't get the attention that a boutique bass like a Sadowsky recieves.

6. I hear ya. It makes you wonder if there is any gear made in NYC that is not priced so high. Aguilar, Sadowski and even Carl Thompson are considered top notch, but so expesive.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    G&L basses are nice no doubt, but mine just didnt serve me right at all. Im sure a lot of people would love them and I did for a while, but then my tates changed (matured?).

They just didnt sound right to me, solo or in the band. I really noticed it one day when I was at practice and couldnt get a good sound no matter what. I spent the next month or so trying to figure it out but then I decided to get something else.

I ended up moving to Valenti basses (made by Nino Brown) and I think its a big imporvement. I unfortunately dont have the money for a Sadowsky and I havent tried one so I cant say what they are like in comparison, but since someone else mentioned other low priced customs I thought Id mention Valenti as an option.

Here is what Nino built for me:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130645

He is really reasonable in his pricing and the quality is as good or better than anything else Ive played. I suggest doing a search if you are interested.

For comparison purposes, even though G&L builds nice basses I cant imagine G&L even holding a candle to Sadowsky from what Ive heard of Sadowsky.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky is an over all better bass, sound and construction their is a noticeable diffrence. Sadowsky allso ways ALOT less.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually I have talked to Nino about a bass and I may very well order something from him. I never meant to suggest that the L-2500 was better than the Sadowsky 24 Fret, although I'm sure that there are people who prefer them. I was really more curious about whether people saw any similarlity between the type of sound that that the basses make.

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    One factor would be that the general overhead (rent, utilities, labor) costs in NYC are among the highest in the US, if not the world (I think Tokyo would have it beat). That's something manufactures have absolutely no control over.

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    It's more like a successor to the Stingray (the Sabre was very similar, I think), which was more like the P-Bass IMO.