L-2500 vs. EBMM SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Jan 18, 2006.

1. What are the differences? I am especially interrested in the neck and the sound.
    Right now I own a passive P, and I love passive tone. It just sounds so old school and I love the old school sound mixed with some dirty gritty grinding bass. Which plays better, which one is worth the money more?
    Just give an overall comparison and opinion and why.

I would buy it used, and not now, but "eventually".

BTW, I can see before any replies that this might turn out nasty, so please no flame wars :bag:
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Both are great, and I've got one of each right here, so fire any specific questions.

The MM sounds much more "modern", with tons of focussed growl, bright highs, and lots of presence. The neck on the MM is much thinner and sleeker. The 3 band EQ makes it easy to dial in different sounds. The stingrays with 2 humbuckers make it much easier to dial in a more traditional tone .... though it will always still sound like a 'ray to some extent.

The G&L has a darker, thicker, gankier sound. Super fat, almost P bass like on some settings. Has a passive mode and passive tone controls so you can get it much closer to a traditional fender sound than you can with the MM. The neck is very full from front to back (though it is the same width at both the nut and bridge as the MM). The electronics are a little hard to get the hang of, but offer TONS of very different sounds. Sounds best (and most fender-like) to me in passive mode with the pickups in paralell.

Both are very heavy, very well built, are great values, and sound very good. They are simmilar basses overall, with the main differences being tone, electronics, and neck girth.
  3. sound clips?
    If not do you know any artists who recorded with each. I can tell a ray sound from a mile away, but i dont hear very many recordings with them. If I was looking for a bass to record and to go live with, what would you reccomend.
    As of now I just really want to play a G&L. I have played the HH Ray 5's, and wow...they are beautiful. I think I want a thicker tone, more P like, but i like the grit and grind of a Stingray...to an extent. I really wish I knew somewhere around here not to far away with both in stock. Saint Clair Shores MI sucks.

You say the neck on the Ray is better. Is the G&L neck huge? Or is it just a little bit bigger. The Ray 5 neck felt like my Fender P in my hands, the neck was not much bigger. Do G&L's have the unfinished neck? Which one plays better/faster/smoother?

Just a few question.

Oh and I just realized Eddie Breckenridge from Thrice records with an l-2000 I beleive, and I hear the bassist from Dillinger uses one, but I cant tell if hes using his old Jazz or not...

Just throw some stuff at me...

P.S. I dont like too much highs. I HATE harsh highs, even when I hit a C on the 5th fret G. It just sounds terribly harsh. I like a dark dark dark tone in my highs... If that helps you give me any more information...
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'll record you some sound clips this weekend. PM me your email address and let me know how much data it can handle in an attachment.

Position "4" (the inner coils) on the HH does have a nice thick sound ... but nothing like the G&L.

Just different. The G&L is thicker and feels a lot fuller. Just depends what you like. Overall I'd say the MM plays better for ME. The G&L I have has a finished neck.

You'd probably like the tone of the G&L better, given that.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'd love to hear those clips pickes..crazybassist601 find any L2k's around here yet. I'm near Ann Arbor.....No G&L's to be found! LDS doesn't carry them eithier.
  6. Both are nice basses. I owned a Stringray and now play a L2000 exclusively because of its passive option and thick and beefy sound.
  7. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    i owned two L2500s (I thought they were the bass for me because of the Fender type neck and tonal variation), but they both recorded horribly; tried a Warwick Pro5 but it had no soul...then I picked up an EBMM Stingray 5 and it was just...home

IMHO, the g&Ls cannot touch the punchy prescence and low end balls of the MM
  8. You mean, studiowise?
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    That might be true for the L-2000/2500, but the L-1500/1505 has a single pickup in the Stingray "sweet spot," and has loads of punch. I don't know because I haven't compared G&L with EB back to back, but I've spent some time with an L-1500, and it has serious balls. I prefer it to the Stingray because of the passive option and its serious growl. The pre is kind of noisy though, and requires a hefty cut on the treble to be useful IMO, but then it sounds pretty righteous. I think it's a different pre than the L-2000/2500.
  10. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    it's a personal preference thing - my next bass will be either a Tribute L2500 or a G&L L2500. I just like the feel, plus the series/parallel switch on it.

Both feel good, but I'm used to a larger bass, so I'll be going the G&L route,
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I prefer the neck on the stingray5 over the g&l neck. Tonewise, both are good.
  12. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Is the radius larger on the L2k? I think the string spacing is the same as the MM5? What bass would any of you say the L2k's neck resembles?
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A P bass maybe, but i was mostly refering to the neck finish. The EBMM gun stock/oil finish is to die for.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I played a Fender 5. is it close to that?
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably a bit chunkier.
  16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    At the moment I too have both an SR5 and L2500. Everything Pickles said sums it up. But Bass555's comment is wrong...the neck pickup of the 2500 gives it tremendous punch, I'd say a it's even more than the SR5. The bridges make a difference too. The thick heavy cast bridge of the 2500 has that edgier attack and sustains longer. The stamped SR5 bridge is mellower as expected.
    Yup, same widths and string spacing on the necks, but the front to back thickness is thicker on the 2500 vs the SR5.
    The back of the neck finish on my SR5 is bare maple, and my 2500 has a satin finish.