L.A. TBers: How's life down there? (Advice for a northern boy)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi, folks.

There is a big possibbility I'll be moving to L.A. in 2004. I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what life is like there, as far as employment is concerned. How's the California crisis treating L.A.?

I have a college degree and speak quite a few languages. Housing will not be a problem but I intend to have a place of my own after a few months. Feel free to respond of PM me with any info or leads. Thanks.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    College degree AND you speak a couple languages....you're fine :p

Seriously, I can't say cause I'm not even 18 yet(two more days)

But I certainly love So. cal, and I can say that I enjoy it down here.
  3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, my whole resume would be kind of lengthy...:p
  4. Why are you moving to LA..Why would anyone actually choose to live there..I could see living there only if it was for a great paying job, but it's not my bag of tea...LA IMO is nothing short of being a third world country.. good luck man.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    But the band is going!:bawl:

I don't wanna lose my gig!:bawl::bawl:
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It was an order.
  8. Well, LA isn't all that great if you move right into the heart of the ghetto or something. Try the places around LA, like Orange County, and drive into LA if that is where your gig is.

One big plus in Southern California as opposed to San Fran., is level ground. How the hell do you people live on those hills?
  9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Well Jazzbo told me I wouldn't like LA and I didn't. Stay.
  10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Like I said, housing won't be a huge problem, I'm more concerned about employment.

We drive cars with atomatic gear shifts.:D

Hey, Jazzbo, I remember telling a certain somebody to not move out of SF a while back. Did he listen to me? :p

Seriously, this band has too many cool contacts to pass up. It's like Dylan said: When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose.:confused::rolleyes: :bassist:
  11. Pshhh automatics are for wussies.

Plus, lets say the liquor store is just a quarter mile down the road, you don't have to put on your hiking boots here in So. Cal!

And even if you do have to drive, you can almost always find FREE parking RIGHT NEXT to the place you want to be!
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey, let's not be haters. we all know California is the best place on earth, don't matter if it's north or south.

At anyrate, blackbird, If your band is moving to LA wouldn't that BE a job?

or is this band not full time?
  13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    It's a wannabe full time band. It doesn't make a profit...yet. Check the band website.

I decided to do it. My only condition for moving south is that I'm able to finish my music degree. I was planning on taking a full time job after graduation anyway. After a year there, If the band hasn't indeed become a job, I might look into UCLA for an M.A.

Jazzbo: hope I wasn't too rough on ya.:)
  14. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Jeez, I take longer than that to decide what to have for lunch. :p Hehe
  15. Have a car.
    Yes, definitely have a car.
    But watch out for traffic. Yeah, traffic sucks.
    Oh yeah, the bus system is pretty crappy, too. But then again, I've been spoiled by Hong Kong when it comes to public transportation. Other people seem to love it. I still think it's crap, though.

As for actually living in SoCal, if you say it won't be a problem, then I'm going to assume you're not going to be too close to USC? :p
    Actually, it's really not so bad immediately around campus, just...don't go too far west of campus. Or south. At all. :p
  16. ..isn't Matterhorn Mountain at Disney Land the highest point in orange county..:rolleyes: .... Blackbird I was born and raised in the bay area..I miss it up there, but I really love living down here in north San Diego county...I avoid LA at all cost.. Infact I'll go up 15 then head over to the 5 around and above LA just to get north..I have friends that have moved to LA and all off them had returned within a year... I hope you find it a wonderful place to live :) good luck.
  17. Oh.
    If you get a place in Santa Monica...I'll trade you. :p
  18. Damn right, and that's the way it should be! But I guess that Disney is one of the bad points of living in Orange County.

Well, I guess its not soooo bad, they let you keep the little piece of brain they take out.
  19. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    He didn't listen. And what happened? He moved right back! It's going to be very sad seeing you go, but at least I rest peacefully with the knowledge that we get rid of another great SF bassist, thus increasing my gigs! :D ;) :)

Truthfully, I wish you and Britanny's friends the best, and much mad bucoo success; however, it very much sucks that you gotta go.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    College degree in what? If it's in the Liberal Arts, learn and memorize the following phrase: "Did you want fries with that, sir?"

Oh yeah ... the average cost of a house is right around $400K. More if you want two bedrooms. Cost of living is comparable to the Bay Area.

The music scene? There are probably 7,500 working bands there. 7,000 of them are good.