1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L-pad watts 6nd410 driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 7, 2010.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have a pair of 3 way cabs that use and eminence 3015, 18 sound 6nd410 and selenium d220ti. I want to hook up a pair of l-pads to adjust the sound from room to room. the corssover points are 800hz and 4khz. I think that a 50 watt would be plenty for the tweeter. Would that be enough for the 6.5" 6nd410 driver, give these crossover points? Or, should I go with 100 watts on the 6.5" ? Thanks, guys. I hope all the gigs went well this weekend.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Why not just EQ the sound before the amplifier to adjust the mids

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Like Seamonkey says. Use your DSP system. You can pad the crossover in the DSP system too if you use a crossover.

If you pull everything down 3db above 800hz, it'd be like padding.

Passive continuously-variable L-pads are grossly inferior to EQ in every way.

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I'd like to use dsp but, my tops are 3-ways and then, I have subs as well. My dbx drive rack can do 3-way, not 4-way. I agree that the dsp is the way to go but, it's not an option for me and even if it was, I would have to run alot more cables.

I tried eqing it but, you can still tell that the horn and mid have so much more output. I'd rather flatten out the response with passive crossover and l-pads before eqing.

So, is a 50 watt l-pad enough for the 6.5" or should I just go with the 100 watt?

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Buy a 31 band eq, pull all the bands over 800hz down until it sounds right. It'll cost you less than the time screwing around with installing the lpad. It'll also let you correct for mid and horn resonances easier.

Very very few PA tops are "flat" -- people use RTA software and or DSP presets to even them out.

That said, absolutely get the 100w lpad if it's for the mid section if you insist on doing it.

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I've been using the drive rack eq with a 800hz and 4khz shelf, doing just as you suggested. It works pretty well but, you do hear some extra hiss on the horns since they still actually running wide open.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't think a pad is going to do anything to lower the noise floor. If you have a slider at -3db, then you add a 3db pad to the mid and raise the slider to 0db, you haven't really changed the amount of gain. That's just my understanding though and I am no expert.

Might try adding a 14khz low pass also. I think that's the number most guys use on their PA systems to minimize any HF hiss - nothing intelligible up there anyway.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Good tip on the high-pass

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Low pass! :) Double check over at the live sound forum but I believe 14khz is close to the ballpark. Hope it helps.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    LP, thats what I meant. Thanks again.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020