L/R Hand Coordination - Many "typists" here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mjw, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Frequent "fluent" typist?

14 vote(s)
  2. Infrequent "fluent" typist?

2 vote(s)
  3. Frequent "non-fluent" typist?

7 vote(s)
  4. Infrequent "non-fluent" typist?

0 vote(s)
  1. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi all,

I'm mildly curious about how many of us may or may not be typists too, and whether you think it affects your ability to learn and maintain your left-to-right hand coordination.

As with many these days, I spend a _lot_ of time each day on the keyboard, and I began wondering about this. So please bear with me as I attempt to post a poll from which to draw a few conclusions. Thanks!

2. templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I like to type for that reason. It can't hurt your playing. I hope not.
  3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am a pretty quick hunt-and-pecker. Er...I mean...you know what I mean.
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I suppose that I'm a fairly good typist - I'm not trained in touch typing or anything like that, but I can type pretty quickly. But I'm useless on the bass, so I don't know what difference typing makes.
  5. yeah we've seen the pics yawnsie :)

and your from the pool

how many troublesomes fates can one man take

6. I l;kjadkj a;lkjapjfj
    a;lkjdf;lali-)(* j''ajld[f9i
    j;lkjad[sifu a dfma/dfjk]a
  7. Last year in my keyboarding class I typed 84 wpm with less then five errors. I'd say I'm around 75 right now...
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I'm a touch typist and rarely look at my hands while I'm typing. I also sight read which is sort of the same thing, you need to know where the notes are and how to get to them, essentially you need a mental image of the fingerboard as you need a mental image of the keyboard. Just my opinion...
  9. Interesting. Made me think of how I type and play bass. I'm a decent typist. (Over 60 wpm at over 90% accuracy) Anyway, although I type without looking, I can't really visualize the keyboard without really thinking about it. When I type, I guess I feel the keys out without even consciously knowing what the keys are. When I play bass, I do the same. I guess I always think in intervals and my fingers just find their way around the fretboard. It's a lot harder for me to actually know what note I'm playing, but I do know what interval I'm playing in relation to the chord and to the next note.

Our minds all perceive and relate to information in a different way. Some of us are very visual while others are aural, or "touch" people or something else. I know I'm very non-visual.
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I type like was posted before, fast, and without conciously thinking about it. Hopefully, that will work its way over into my reading/playing. I did notice that after I practice bass I can type better though.
  11. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    That's funny... I was thinking about the connection between typing and playing an instrument.

I *definately* belive it helps finger dexterity, coordination and speed for any "fingering endeavor" he he he.... Stop it.

I am in internet sales and type ALL DAY LONG, so naturally I am pretty fast and efficient at it. No idea how many wpm, but it is way up there. I do it by touch and without concious thought of where my fingers are going. Now, I am nowhere NEAR that level of familiarity with my bass-playing, but I am getting there and I certainly believe that the same skills that go into typing are the skills used to develop reliable technique and speed for both picking and fretting.

Combine that with a good ear and natural rhythm, and you got yourself a bassman.
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I must say that on a consistent basis you are the only person around here that makes me laugh out loud. You, my friend, are truly disturbed. :D

To answer the question, I type by touch, about 70wpm. See the "Any Fitness Buffs" thread! :)
  13. I can touch type...but I've never thought about it in relation to co-ordination for bass playing.

I'll think about it next time I'm playing.

14. Mom?
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA