L1000 vs Audere J: which can get closer to P tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattZilla, Nov 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I know that I should just get a PJ and call it a day but I have this stupid L1K lust, an immature aversion to P's, I've had a mij geddy J that never truly sounded FULL, and I have an active sorta-J (corvette) sitting around that I've never thoroughly loved. The other side of the 1K fence I'm sitting on is: just get a better preamp for the vette, an audere, sadowsky or something. Will a better-than-the-MEC preamp do the trick better than an L1K with its knobs carefully twiddled?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    L1000. It can sound like a hot P-Bass, depending on switching and tone controls. I think it sounds WAY better than a P. Plays better, too.

I have a Sadowsky and a Thumb. While I can get in the P bass neighborhood, I don't really think they nail it. Close enough for a live gig, but the preamps (Sadowsky and MEC) don't necessarily get it closer to a P sound, just thicker.

3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    That's what I was thinking, but I have read some enthusiastic reports about audere's.

4. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I had an Audere in a Jazz bass and returned it. It was a huge step down from the Sadowsky or MEC.

5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I was hoping there'd be some vote to keep and upgrade the warwick.