Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L2000 neck thickness?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryanl, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ryanl

ryanl

Mar 28, 2005
    I have been looking for a new bass and have been thinking about a n l2000. Problem is fender jazz necks are way to thin for me (front to back mainly, but the string spacing is a little tight also).

I don't have access to a music store with that great of a selection, however, Stingrays have necks that fit me a whole lot better then the Fender Jazz necks do. It's just that I love the warm tones that the Jazz can pump out.

So those of you with the L2000's (both tribute and non) how are those necks looking thickness wide.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    G&L come with different optional neck sizes.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The standard nut width is 1.75", and they also make them with the 1.5" jazz size. The thing is, the American G&Ls are handmade, and they are often different than the two standards. My L-2000 has a nut width of 1 5/8".

I don't know what the nut width is on Tributes, but since they are made with CNC they would be more standard without the variations you get on the American ones.

The bottom line is with the American made G&Ls you have to play them to see if you like the feel.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You got an L-2000 with a 1 5/8" neck? I didn't think they made them!

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think he was talking about the thickness from back of the neck to the top of the fretboard.

6. ryanl

ryanl

Mar 28, 2005
    exactly :smug: I wish that manufactures would add this to their list of neck measurements, sure would make things easier for me...

The thing is, I can deal with closer string more then I can deal with a thin neck, it just kills me having one that is thin like a Jazz or an Ibanez.

7. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A lot of the G&L necks are thin front to back, but not all of them. The L-1000 I used to have was, and I sold it for that reason. My L-2000 is thicker. They are shaped by hand on a belt sander, so they are not all the same.

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think it was supposed to be 1 3/4, but since they are shaped by hand they aren't exact.

9. ryanl

ryanl

Mar 28, 2005
    I really would like a production bass with a thick neck and a Jazz bass tone, but its become increasingly apparent to me that if I want that I am either going to have to drop some major cash or get one custom made for me. :crying:

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Couldn't you get an L2K with the P sized neck?

11. Or just get a G&L JB-2 with a precision neck....