1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2000 picking position.

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by felixxx, Sep 24, 2008.

1. That's it. I would like to know when you use fingers (or picks if you use them) where do you attack strings on L2K. Between neck and pups or further back over the pups? Or depending what sound you want to get?
    Just curious.
    Cheers

2. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I attached a thumb rest between the pickups on mine. It looks like a ramp, but extends above a line even with the top of the pickups. I've only had it a month, and I need pic to post.

Anyway, when I use the thumb rest I naturally pluck between the pickups. If I want a softer bassier sound I pluck between the neck and the neck pickup, without using the thumb rest.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Fingers: right between the 2 pickups...if I'm going for a more vintage/mellow tone I'll move up towards the neck a bit

Pick: generally between the neck & neck p/u. As I need more "aggression" I'll start creeping towards the bridge....

But this is on an ASAT....same guts as an L2K - just cooler looking! (I kid, I kid....)

4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    On pretty much all basses (including my L2k), I use the bridge pickup as a thumbrest when playing fingerstyle, and play back near the bridge with a pick. That's just my comfort zone. I think I like it because the string moves less there, so I can pluck a little harder. But, if I need a bassier/thumpier sound, I may go up to the neck pickup. Rarely play further toward the neck than that.

5. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    I pluck over the bridge pickup most of the time because that's the most comfortable position for me. For a mellower tone I move closer to the neck.

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    +1 on all counts! The shoulder of my neck p/u is worn smooth from my thumb resting on it.

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Up until last year or so, I would always anchor my thumb on the bridge pickup of any of my basses and so pluck fairly close to the bridge (there is a considerable divot from my fingernail in that position on my L2000!). When I bought my current L2000, a previous owner had installed a thumbrest between the neck pickup and neck- now I find myself playing there more and more often. There is a whole world of tones to be found on most basses just by moving playing position- I don't know how I avoided it so long! (although I can't deal without having some sort of thumbrest or other anchor, as I really like to be able to dig in- thanks to whoever installed that awesome thumbrest! I never could have brought myself to do it...) As far as flatpicking, I still prefer to pick near the bridge- it sounded amazing on my old L2500- just growly and punchy as all hell. If I was a dedicated pick player, I never would have gotten rid of that bass (my L2000 just can't get the same growl with a pick for whatever reason).

Karl

8. francisl2500

francisl2500

Jul 19, 2006
    quebec
    Since i bought my tribb 2500 , i put my thumb on the b string and pluck between the pups but nearest of the bridge one (switchs in both pup, parralel, and active pre no treb boost). When i switch to serie mode, i pluck a little nearer the bridge to keep a good attack( and rool of bass a little). In passive mode ... go foward to the neck and get that sweet mellow tone(with the neck pup one) and stay right between in both pups mode(also passive). Not really a pick player.
    Francis

9. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    i go all over the place... really depends on the tone your looking for. sometimes i play down by the bridge when i solo the bridge pup or just to get a little growlier sound. sometimes i solo the neck pup and play up on the fretboard whcih gives a really cool deep kinda tone, but most of the time i usually just play up on the neck pickup. i usually play with fingers also if that helps. whenever i use a pick i play above the neck pickup unless im tryin to strum fast then i play down by the bridge... this bass makes so many different sounds easily accessible :bassist:

10. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Thumb on the neck pick up. For E and A I tend to pluck more over the Bridge pup itself, not right over but a bit ahead. On D I tend to play more on the pickup and G being just about darn near. I shift a lot too though but I stick around there.

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    So true!