1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

L2000 Strings with silk

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thorplaysbass, Aug 6, 2012.

1. I'm not smart about this stuff, so I'm sorry if I sound stupid. Sorry about the wall of text.. Anyway,

I have an 80s L2000 and every time I string it up with a set of strings with the silk ends behind the nut, it falls off.

I'll string it up, start to tune it too pitch, get it near pitch..then it starts to slide out of the tuning peg and eventually pops out. The part of the string that bends into the tuner shrinks about 80% of what it's supposed to be.

I've put these strings on other basses, so I'm confused. It works fine with strings without the silk ends. I've had this problem before with every string, and I was told to tighten something in the back. It fixed it, but its back again.

Maybe I'm stringing this one wrong, I'm not sure. Has anybody else had this problem with an instrument? How have you gone about fixing it? Any help is greatly loved. I'm talking to my tech about it tomorrow, but figured I'd get some more opinions

***Wrong forum..*** How do you delete a post? Sorry....

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have had this happen, a few times with Chromes and Stingray tuners at the G string. The string just won't hold in the peg, and won't hold pitch.

Three solutions: cut your strings a little longer than usual, then make a very tight "v" with the end of the string, then jam that "v" into the hole. It will not slip now.

Another thing to try: cut the string a fair amount longer than usual, put the string into the hole, then across the slot at the top of the tuner one extra time.

Or, buy strings with no silk. :)