1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

L2000 tone help

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Revvv, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I've got an L2000 Tribute that has a great sound to it, but it is bright. I need to dial in more bottom end. The bass just doesn't sound big enough, especially beside my Fender with a PJ configuration.

2. Personally speaking, I would suggest a change of strings. I went from the rounds that come on ASAT & L2k basses, and I went to La Bella flats. A big difference.

Another thing to keep in mind that you are trying to compare 2 very different types of beasts. You might also find your solution in your amp/eq settings. Also, one of the switches on your G&L is a treble boost. Make sure that is not on.

Re-reading this post, try the easy things first, string change last.

edg

3. Yup.

My usual harangue....

Turn. The. Controls. Down.

Volume, bass, & treble to between 50% & 80%. Passive/Active/Active with treble boost switch to passive or active (for now). Set your amp flat and turn off any brightness switch it may have.

Now re-adjust to taste. Avoid cranking the bass & treble all the way up. Just don't crank the bass' volume all the way up, keeping it at no more than 80% or so.

=================

If the bass has stainless steel strings on it, consider going back to the nickels it came with. Or try flats.

Ken...

4. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I'm not a fan of flats. However, I will try some nickel strings.

As for my settings, I will do a few more tests and see what I can come up with.

5. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    I had the same problem with my Tribby L2K. I put some TI Jazz flats on it - amazing tone!

mpdd likes this.
  6. Listen to Ken. Buy Labella flats. Rule the world.

Worked for me!

7. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Check your p'up heights as well. No excuse for lack of bottom end out of theses things.

8. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Flats rule on L2000's. I put a set of D'Addario chrome flats on one of mine and it sounds great.

mpdd likes this.
  9. REVISION

Listen to Ken & quickervicar. Buy Labella flats. Rule the world.

Worked for me!

10. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    I use only GHS Pressurewounds. They're a 'lil brighter than flats, smoother and not as harsh as Rounds, plus they glide like butta!

I have my L-2000 set at Vol: 80%, Treb: 40%, Bass: 60%
    Pickups: Both on, single coil mode, and Active switch set in the middle.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Hawk

11. i'm back to using Ken Smith Slick Rounds on all my basses. on my L-2000, the lows are punishing.

12. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Put the series-parallel switch in series mode. That will give you a bass boost.

13. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Everything I would have said has been said. I'm using famously bright DR lites with mine, and there's plenty low end.

14. i_g55

i_g55

May 26, 2005
    istanbul
    If you've done everything above and still not satisfied, you can try changing the stock .022UF treble cap with a .050UF one. I've recently done that on my L1500 and I can cut more of the treble now, leaving me more bottom end. Also with the new cap, the treble at around 20% with the active boost on gets me a very nice mid-range bite.

15. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    +1 on the flats. I had the same problem until I used flatwounds. I like LaBellas, DR's and TI's and alot of people on the string forum love Chromes. If you must use rounds try DR Lo Riders nickel. Your other choice is to get a vintage G&L. The pickups are much darker on the earlier models.

mpdd likes this.
  16. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Where should the pick up height be?