1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2000 Tribute En Route. Good Choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crabby, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have had my eye on these for years but the only G&L dealer's in my area never have anything in stock. I called up the local dealer today and got a price which seemed very reasonable so I pulled out the ol' credit card.

Lefty's are only available as the 4 string in natural gloss finish with the swamp ash body. They told me the bass would be here within a week.

The Tribute line seems to get a lot of praise around here. Hopefully anyone who has bought one recently can provide some insight.

Lefty basses are so hard to come by and I was not in a position to pay for a USA built version right now. I was considering one of the new Warwick Rockbass $$ models but they seem to be priced pretty high for an Asian made copy of the real thing.

I will of course, provide a thorough review with photos once it arrives. :bassist:

2. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    Hmmm let me see. Yes. Probably the best purchase I ever made. Im also a lefty and options can be so scarce but this bass is awesome. Ive gotten so used to the versatility it offers that I just dont want another bass yet. Ive never been all that comortable on a neck with 1 3/4" nut width but it
    feels very comfortable on this bass. Maybe because of the neck profile? The only thing I have changed so far was Hipshot tuners which not too surprisingly made no difference. I actually want to start saving for a U.S. made one just so I can choose the body and neck finish.

3. John S

John S

Sep 5, 2009
    Georgia
    I snagged a tribute last year. It's a great bass for the money. I played it against my other J and P basses to learn how to dial in a matching tone. Now I can flip a switch or two, roll the Bass/Treble to 'switch basses' on the fly.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I was seriously in no financial position to buy my tribby, and I love it. best terrible decision I've ever made. Also, if you get tired of it, they are a dream to mod. I bought one with a bass boost in series mode and a single coil mode. I can;t believe that these aren't more popular.

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think the tone will either work for you or it won't. It is very flexible and can cop "sorta" J, P or MM tones with the flip of a switch (or two). But IME, it is all wrapped in a really distinct overtone - thick and powerful, but not to everyone's taste...

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Good to hear. I do own some very good quality basses including a Stingray, USA P-bass and USA Jazz so the Tribute may seem like a bit of a redundant purchase. I am hoping that I can get some alternative tones to my other basses and that it compares in quality (within reason of course). I don't expect the Tribute to be as of a bass as my Stingray but from everything I have read, it sounds like it will be a great alternative with the pickup layout and unique pre amp and controls.

7. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    So which model are you getting--L2K, L2500, JB-2, SB-2?

I already have US ASAT semihollow and a Leo-era Lynx (similar to first version SB-2). Wouldn't mind having a Tribute JB-2 at all.

8. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    He's got an eltookay on the way.

9. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think if you've got those other (great) basses, you're set. The G&L has a really thick, heavy tone about it - I think BP reviewers called it "woofy" and I'd agree with that. Though it sorta cops those tones, it sounds distinct enough to be handy - it still sounds like a G&L... I found that in some contexts, it sounded REALLY good, but less so in others. I personally liked it best through a tube amp\sealed cab - sweet Jesus! Construction is a step down from the other basses you mention (again just IMO), but overall good. I had an earlier model which wasn't quite as nice as the newer ones I've seen - I think the QC has improved a fair bit.

10. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I owned one just like you described except a rightie. Beautiful bass. I sold it and bought the Trib L2500 because I was jumping to five string and I didn't want to give up my G&L.

I couldn't handle going between four and five, so switched entirely over. Now the L2500 is my primary. Kinda regret selling the L2K as I now have several fours again.

This Frieland review gets dragged out pretty often http://www.covenantchristian.org/athletics/games.aspx?sport=16

A little tease to bump your anticipation.
    GL3-1.

11. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    Great choice. I love mine - sounds absolutely great. Construction quality is really good, if not up to par with stingray 5 I used to own, but nothing to complain about, really.

I records really well - I love basses that just sound good without any studio magic - play, record, aplly compression, you`re done. No need to eq etc. etc.

12. I think you just bought yourself one of the absolute best tone machines in bassdom.

Make sure you take the time to really explore ALL the tonal options on this beast. Often, people don't realize all there is to get out of these basses.

Enjoy!

John

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Same thing happened to me when I started playing 5ers, sold a sweet vintage P. Fenders MMs and G&Ls are some sweet basses by design, grats on your choice!

14. IMO a lot of people are making the same mistake with L2000 (or L2500/ASAT) bases trying to make them to sound like J, P or MM.
    They have a distinct sound on their own. One thing most of the owners agree is not to dial anything to the maximum, keep them low. I keep bass at about 70% and mids about a half.
    I used to like J basses, but after getting my L2000 Trib my J sounded so weak and thin, I ended up selling it.
    I don't think you'll be dissapointed anyhow. :bassist:

15. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    There`s no mid control on an L2000... also, the eq is passive CUT only, so flat is 100% - i keep mine that way almost all the time :)

16. the tribute is pretty good, considering that the pickups, bridge and preamp are exactly the same as the USA models use.

also, tributes have a "premium" model, which is the natural gloss, which you ordered, good for you because tribute premium models use swamp ash for body, but the non-premium ones has basswood as the body.

17. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    My l2k tribute is swamp ash - a sunburst, it`s a regular l2k, no indication of "premium" model anywhere. Other transparent colors are swamp ash too. I belive only the solid color ones are made of basswood.

The are also the carved models - with a nice, carved flame maple top.

Also the preamp and bridge is not exacly the same as US models - it`s probably made to the same specs, but not in the same factory. Only the pickups are exacly the same thing.

18. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I gigged with this one for a long time, until I became addicted to Precisions:
    TributebyGL.

A really good beast.

19. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    you guys are making really glad I ordered one of these. I have never heard of read anything about the Tribute line that would indicate that they are lacking. Lefty's only come in the natural finish but I am so greatfull for any color option that is not black!

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    G&L L2000. Tribute. Ash Body. Gloss natural wood. Lefty.

Please explain to me just HOW you could manage to be unhappy with this unless the UPS truck backed over the box or something!

Word to the wise. Don't be afraid to change those factory strings if the tone isn't quite doing it for you.