1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2500 4 +1 v. 3 + 2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by giantjerk, Dec 1, 2006.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Yesterday I had the opportunity to play a G&L L2500 Tribute and it really got my interest. It was a 4 + 1 headstock.

I've done a little research but what is the difference between the 4 + 1's and the 3 + 2's? What difference is there between the standard L2500 and the L2500 custom.

BTW the one I played was an orangish/honeyish with maple/maple neck.

Thanks

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I'm taking a very wild guess, but I think it refers to the tuning keys being over or under the headstock? That is, on a 3+2, you see three pegs in a row and a group of 2 underneath. Or were you wondering about it in terms of scale (string length I guess) and quality?

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

As I recall the older 4+1 L2500's were a bit heftier in weight. There are some that prefer them but I'm partial to the 3+2 arrangement. Just like the way it looks on the L2500.

Rezdog

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The L2500 Custom hasn't been made in a while...I believe they stopped making them in the late '90s. They had ash tops over bound alder bodies. Mine is a 1998, and has a 3+2 headstock but it's a factory replacement neck...I'm not sure if 3+2 headstocks were coming out in '98. Mine also has the 6-bolt transitional neck plate.

You saw a Tribute with a 4+1 headstock? I didn't know those existed at all.

[​IMG]

5. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    To the best of my knowledge all the Tribby 5vers are 3+2. The early 2500, L-5000, and 5500s were 4+1.

Currently all 5 strings are 3+2 now days.

Jim

6. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Thanks for the info so far.

I'm positive that it was a 4 over 1 (4+1) headstock. It was a six bolt neck, no plate. No body binding so I guess that rules out it being a custom. I'm going to go back and look at it again today to see if "tribute" is imprinted on the bridge and to check the serial number. This one is not what I would consider light but not a boat anchor either.

I've read about the G&L's neck construction, this one looked like there was a join mark running down the lenght of the neck from the headstock to the heel.

7. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Doesn't sound like a Tribute to me.

Isn't it also true that Tributes don't have bi-cut necks? I thought that they had skunk stripes.

Cheers,
    Chris

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No way it was a Tribute if it was 4+1 headstock.
    My old (96) L-2500 was 4+1 headstock, 6 bolt plate w/micro tilt and string through bridge only.
    l2500-4.
    l2500-1.
    l2500.

My new (2001) L-1505 is 3+2 headstock, 6 bolt no plate and strings through body. Both USA.

GL1505b.
    GL1505a.
    GL1505c.
    IMO, the B string is better on the newer models.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Never heard of a 4+1 Tribute...

10. Neosakai

Neosakai

Sep 11, 2006
    I've noticed the orange one shown at the top is flat and the natural gloss one is more ..... round?

What are the differences? I'm interested in the flat ones... Do they still make it? And.... Does it cost more?

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think the contoured body like my old L2500 is the standard shape. If you get the binding around the body they have to keep the body flat.

12. Neosakai

Neosakai

Sep 11, 2006
    I like the flat ones... Especially this one
    [​IMG]

Does either one cost more? Or have a different err name?

13. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Sorry I have seen quite a few bound bodies that are contoured.

I'm dying for a fretless with a bound body.

Jim

See bound body, foo foo top, and matching headstock. :hyper:

NAMM018.

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Damn! Wrong again.:help:

15. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    FWIW, I prefer 3+2...

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey spideyjg,
    I see you got the Carvin B800. How's that working with the G&L's? I just ordered one as a combo with the 12 inch speaker. I'm kind of wondering how the lack of pre amp gain works with the hot G&L pickups. Do they overdrive the pre amp? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when mine shows up.
    Sorry about the thread hijack

17. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Well Craig had that before me and uses SB-2's and had no problem,. I have been swamped with work and lack of space so I haven't spent much time with it. However I didn't have any overdrive issues.

Honestly the thing is a bit too potent for bedroom practice use. It gets real loud, real quick. A very uncolored amp.

My one beef is I made labels for what knob controls what frequency. There is Sub bass (50hz), bass (100 hz), low mid (300hz), mid (1Khz), high mid (3Khz), treble (10Khz).

Jim