L2500 or RB5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Apr 12, 2004.

1. gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    I'm with a rock covers band playing about 100 gigs this year. So we play live and do not record.

Whats best:

1. G & L L2500

2. Fender Roscoe Beck 5

2. the best thing is probably go to the music store and test both basses, see what you like best :D
  3. I agree.

I will say that I personally like the L2500, it's versatile and really cuts through.
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Tough call. Both of those are great choices. Comes down to personal preference. THe G&L is active and can be switched to passive. I believe the RB5 is passive only, but both sound very punchy. They can both sound Old school with a vintage sort of flava. But the G&L can also sound a little more modern as well. More so than the RB5? Not sure. Again, I'd have to say this dual might be one of the closer calls I've considered.

Let us know what you like and dislike when you get a chance to compare them.
  5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
  6. undefined
    I think that the G&L will give you more versatility. The only problem with the Roscoe Beck is the Gotoh bridge, which has a lot of parts that can work loose and make setups more complicated than they have to be. I have one of these bridges on a bass that I built so I know about them.
    The G&L will give you great sounds even in its passive mode. The MFD pickups that G&Ls use are among the best pickups. IMHO.
    good luck,