L2500 owners...your favorite control setting?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Dec 8, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a trib 2500 and love it. I'm getting (finally after sooo many basses) the tone I've always wanted. I was close with the SUB5 but not close enough. Questions for you 2500 owners. What is your style of music? What is your playing style? (finger, pick, slap) and what is your favorite control setting on your 2500?

I'm playing in a hard rock/punk band....mostly originals but with a couple of Who and Small Faces covers. I play fingerstyle. My setting right now is the neck pickup solo'ed in parallel with preamp on but no treble boost. This is giving me a punchy cutting tone (ala P bass with a bit more clarity) without harsh highs. I found using the Series setting was speaker overkill. I thought I was going to blow them the 1st time I used it in series. Even with eq'ing my amp I still can't really use this setting but oh well...parallel neck only is giving me what I need. I wish I would've gotten a G&L a LONG time ago. Looking forward to hearing from you owners of L2500s.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used mine to play zydeco so was looking for a funk-type sound. I used the bridge pickup only in series, preamp off and both tone controls about 50%.
  3. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I play mostly finger style and slap. I play on a weekly basis in a P&W band. We play many different styles. mostly for clean rock or slow stuff I play:
    Both pickups, series pickup, and active w/o treble boost.

For slappin I play:
    Vintagey tone: neck pickup, parallel and active.
    modern tone: both pickups, series, and treble boost. Just remember to back off the bass a little.

For pickwork I usually solo the back pickup. it gives you a really cool stingray sound with a pick.

This bass does it all. To all of those who have not tried one. Shame on you. Go try it for the sake of mankind....or basskind???

4. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I play fingerstyle and slap most of the time. I tend to favor both PUs on, parallel, in passive with the tone knobs all the way up. When I want to add just a little more highs and I if I want the low D, B, C notes to really shine on my amp, I flip the switch to active (middle setting). It tends to growl a little better with a tad more punch.
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I play fingerstyle and slap, original music hard-heavy rock. I definitely have a hi-fi crisp tone, a-la Dave LaRue.
    On mine, all the knobs are all the way up. The pickup selector switch is always in the middle-both pups on. The center switch I have no idea what it does, but it is flipped foward-more bassy sounding, and the active/passive/sizzle switch is in the middle.

Now back to that center switch...with it flipped back wasn't bassy enough for me, flipped forward was too bassy so I compensated by adjusting down the pickup height to match the rest of my actives in volume while taming the overkill of the center switch being forward.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Classic rock finger style. Both pick ups,
    active/no treble boost.
    tone controls all the way up.
  7. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Playing my Tribute L-2500 is just making me want an American model that much more....ughh....the gas!