1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2500 Ringing

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by jhollis, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jhollis

jhollis

Mar 26, 2009
    I have an early 90's L2000 that I love. I also have a 2002
    L2500. The L2500 rings when I play it, especially when I pop the strings. I'm using D'Addario strings strung thru the bridge (I couldn't find super longs to go thru the body). Does anyone know why this bass would have a ringing sound? I'm not talking about sustain ring, I'm talking about an annoying ring.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Could be the infamous "spring ping" - the pickups are supported by springs, not foam and they can ring (I can hear it on my G&Ls). I understand it's easily fixed by applying some tape to the springs to damp them (hopefully someone will post more details as I need to do this to mine at some point).

3. Poke a little foam rubber (any type) down into the springs.

When Leo was at the helm G&L's used to come from the factory with a small chunk of gray rubber in the springs to dampen them.

At some point G&L "unlearned" this little assembly step, and for years (almost unbelievably) basses left the factory with noisy, ringing springs.

It varied in severity from bass to bass, but in some cases a bass could be totally unusable in that state.

It's an easy fix, but one has to think the spring problem had to affect sales volume during those years.

4. jhollis

jhollis

Mar 26, 2009
    I haven't taken my pickups off yet. Where are you talking about placing the foam? I can take the pickups off of my L2000 to see how it used to be done, but would prefer not to. Can you help me out?
    Thanks

5. Sure, lay the bass horizontally on a work bench, and get the strings out of the way. Then remove the phillips mounting screws from both pickups.

Then gently lift the pickups out from their cavities, careful not to stress the wires.

Poke some foam rubber down into the springs. Re-install pickups and adjust height to taste. Voila.