1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2500 - slimmer replacement necks?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by BobWestbrook, Jun 29, 2007.

1. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I've had my L2500 Tribute for one day now, and I'm lovin the sounds I can get out of it.

What I'm not lovin so much is the neck. Are there usable replacement necks with a slimmer profile available?

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Moses makes a replacement for about $500 :eek:
    Not sure how it lines up with G&L's shape but here's it's specs...

Headstock: Moses ‘hooked’ 4+1; ‘scooped’
    Shape: Oval
    Nut Width: 1.75"
    Depth at 1st fret: 0.75”
    Depth at 12th fret: 0.85"
    Heel Width : 2.75"
    Heel Shape: Standard Music Man/G&L
    Standard Fingerboard Radius: 16"
    Number of Frets: 21 to heel » See Note
    Fret Style : Dunlop 6150 Jumbo
    Inlay (face & side dots): White
    Options Headstock: Moses 3+2 ‘scooped’
    Tuners: Standard Music Man/G&L; Gotoh GB7; Schaller M-4; Sperzel; Hipshot Ultralite
    Frets: 6000, 6100
    Inlay: Mother of Pearl, Paua Abalone
    Lines: White; gray
    Left-handed: No

3. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Thanks for the info! Are there other alternatives for less $$$?

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Another alternative...play the thing for a week. I've had a Tribute L-2500 for a couple of weeks and don't notice the thick neck so much now after two gigs.

The string spacing is already in the direction of a Jazz bass, so there's not much to be reduced in width...it'd be mainly in neck depth where some bulk could be reduced.

5. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Or maybe a radial sander would do shave it down some. :)

I agree, it's not so much the width for me as the depth.

Thanks for the advice - I'll give it more time.

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I got a used-like new MIA L2500 about 3 weeks ago, sight unseen, I had only plucked on a Tribute for a few mins in a store a few years ago, so I did not recall the neck. I have mostly been playing my Skyline 55-01, Cirrus 6 and MIM Jazz 4. I really noticed the chunky neck when I recieved this G&L. My wrist actually stayed sore after 2 days of playing it here at the house. Well I've gotten pretty used to the neck and its gone with me to the last few open mics, a few auditions and 2 rehearsals. No more soreness and I am now enjoying playing this bass exclusively. Maybe it will happen for you too, give it some more time. Hope it works out for you.

7. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I just got my L2500 and I don't think the neck is particularly wide. If it were much narrower the string spacing would be uncomfortably tight. The neck is a little chunkier than my Sadowsky m5-24 buth then again, almost every other 5 string neck is. I think the L2500 has a great neck. I'll let y'all know more about it and post some pics soon...

8. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    See if you can get used to it. Real men play chunky necks, after all. :D

Has anyone ever tried a Moses neck on G&L, btw?

Can you say "GAS ATTACK!". :help:

9. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    Just picked up an L2500 last night after my 5 string jazz bass was stolen in NY last weekend. I love its huge neck! I've got a gig tonight and I'm sure that my hands are going to be crushed after playing the Jazz for 10 years.

I've got a graphite Moses neck on another bass of mine. I hate it. I bought the bass off of ebay, and I plan on replacing the neck very soon.

10. Bandsubstance

Bandsubstance

May 2, 2005
    Shaving a neck down to size is not a very hard proceedure. I have done it several times. Easy to use tools can make it fun and very rewarding.
    Go buy a Stanley "Sureform" and a sanding block (ruber). I do it with the neck still attached by laying the instrument upside down on a padded chair oposite me on another chair. (you are sitting down of course). The headstock is cradled in your lap. Then just take the sureform and start at the heel and draw it towards you in long continuous strokes working your way evenly until you have removed the bulk of the wood you don't need.
    Then use the sanding block to smooth and blend into the headstock area.
    It's not rocket science at all. Just keep feeling the neck for size as you go. Of course you will need to refinish th back of the neck, or just put some Tung oil or Watco oil on it.
    The tools will cost you under $15.00
    Practice on a 2x4 to get the feel.
    good luck!:)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021