Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Can anyone tell me how the treble and bass knobs on a L2500 or L2000 work. Because they have no mid position detent, I'm wondering if they're not the typical cut and boost type, but maybe a shelving type where full on clockwise is normal. Is this correct? I had a look at the G&L site, also at Guitars by Leo, but could'nt find the answer there. I'm just curious. Also I've found that stringing through the bridge rather than through the body gives a better B string tone. Anyone else found this?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Tone controls on G&L2500 are not active, so there is no cut/boost, and therefore center position either. As far as I know, bass control cuts treble (thus leaving bass), and treble control cuts bass.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've never seen a schematic, but I've looked over the wiring and I'm not sure how the controls work in active mode (the connections to the pots are pretty complex). Keep in mind that the last preamp Leo Fender designed (the StingRa ) was boost only (that's also how Fender amp EQ works).

In passive mode, they cut only, but the circuit seems to be voiced so that with the knobs full up the bass and treble are accentuated over the midrange. So it SOUNDS like boosting when actually it's not. This EQ was the thing that first blew me away when I tried my first G&L back in 1980, it's a very clever circuit.

I run my 2500 in passive mode (I even removed the battery) with the bridge pickup only set in series and run the EQ knobs 1/2 to 3/4 up depending on the room. With the bass EQ full up, it's simply too much bottom end for me.

4. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, that's interesting re: the B stringing. I have a 1st gen. L-2500 (no string-thru and 4+1 headstock) that I love, but was curious if I was missing anything by not being able to string through the body. Great bass, but I'm STILL learning the electronics...-SLH