1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

L25K INPUT PROB...

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by ErnieD, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    This may get moved to the repair section but since its my G&L, thought I'd ask here first. At gig this Sat nite my Monster cord got hung up last set and a loud pop sound occurred as it pulled out of the bass' input. I quickly stuck the cable back in and continued to play, a loud cracking, popping sound kept happening if I moved. Tried another cable and the crack, pop still occurred. I stood quite still and finished the set but the cracking, popping happened again just now at home on my practice amp with the G&L, so tried the monster cable on my 55-01 works fine, no noise. I opened up the back cover, all wires seem intact, cant see any solder breaks even after moving all wires around abit to check. Is there something in the actual input that could be causing this noise? From visual inspection doesn't looked cracked around the outside. :meh:

2. Your output jack may be "jacked" from that episode with the Monster. Are'nt Monster cables the ones with the uber-wide plugs?

Anyway, you could try bending the jack lugs a little, worked for me once as a temp fix on a barrel jack that had some sort of internal short.

I'd guess you just need a new jack.

-Jack

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Well Ive read things on the monster cables here, bad and good, Ive had this cable for about 7 yrs, thats good. A couple times on my 55-01, sray and g&l, the plug end seems to get strangely hung up in the input, just wont release, then it comes after a few tries, thats bad. The plug ends do not look any wider than any other cables Ive owned.
    SO anyway, I guess I should slide out the input to look for cracks or anything out of sorts. I did not know if there is anything within the input that might have taken a hit. If need be, should I contact G&L to purchase a new input assembly or can I just pick this up at a GC or any local music store??

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds to me like a ground connection is going in and out- possibly you loosened the nut for the the input jack? can you move the jack around at all? I would also second Templars suggestion of carefully bending the two inner prongs on the jack inwards (just a little bit)- the cord jerking out could have bent one of the prongs outwards so that it no longer makes a solid contact with the plug on your cable...were you playing in active or passive mode?

Karl

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've had the problem with the Monster plugs getting stuck in an A/B pedal and have replaced those plugs with Neutriks, which are a fantastic plug and easier than most to solder in.

Not so sure about bending tabs on the jack, because these are enclosed and the insides aren't accessible. Probably best to ditch the Monster plugs and start over with a new input jack...they aren't that expensive, especially compared to blowing a gig because of faulty gear!

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Thats the 3rd or so response to try to bend the prongs within the input barrel I've gotten here. I had a gig last nite and used my 55-01, just have not had time to look at the G&L yet, hope I can repair myself. I'll try to look more into it tonite. I've got a gig Sat, outdoor icehouse gig, Houston; Hot, Humid, Sweaty, was not planning to taking my G&L to that gig, just cause it is outdoors, was gonna take the 55-01 or Sray 5. I just really baby my L25K, cept for that yanking out the cable incident, yeesh. Oh and sunbeast, I was in active for that last song of the nite. Whats the point?

7. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I would bet money its the tip inside the jack that makes contact with your cable is loose. On those closed sleeve jacks the connector is mounted in plastic I believe. I had this problem with my JB-2 and the symptoms were identical. I bought it used with the problem. I think it could have been caused by an oversized cable jack such as a Monster or impact from the bass falling on the cable. Only permanent solution I could come up with was replacing the jack. Not a major fix. Best of luck!

8. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    Over the past 2 years I've replaced 3 jacks in my G&L's, I also use (or used to use) Monster cables, now I'm using Spectraflex. Since using cables other than monster I've made it 5 months since replacing a jack. Those jacks are not that good and once they're bent there is no choice but to replace it. I keep a spare jack on hand, and i'm no longer going to use monster cables.

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    So is this a Monster cable problem or a G&L input problem? Or some of both, like dont use Monster cables on G&L's? I've had this monster cable for like 7 yrs, was waiting for it to go out to get that "free lifetime" replacement. Was in GC the other day, they of course had rows of Monster cables, some generic brands, etc. I guess I need to contact Butch and order up a Bayou cable. Ive been using my other basses and just not looked at my L25K again, from what everyone says looks like I just have to replace the input jack and I guess not use the monster cable, at least on the G&L, til I can get another. thanks all. Peace.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I just got my bayoucables instrument cable from Butch this week, so no more monster :spit: for me. But Butch was out of the Switchcraft stereo inputs when I asked him to include one in my cable shipment. So I called a music store and spoke to repair guy. He said he used Switchcraft parts and he asked me if the input in my G&L L2500 is the "Fender barrel type". I could not say. Is this correct? I dont want him to keep my bass if he does not have what I need in stock or tries to install an incorrect one. Anyone know if the G&L input jack is like the ones in Fender basses? When Butch replied last week he said I would need a stereo, closed type jack but again he was out of stock last week.

11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Yes, it's the closed barrel stereo jack...not specific to Fender, though.

They use one on models where the jack is mounted on the side of the body, just like most other companies.