1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2k clipping problem!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Burlington, Oct 14, 2009.

1. I searched but could not find a similar problem...
    I play in a metal band and tend to really dig in during heavy parts. With my G&L L2000 I sometimes get an odd clipping type effect when doing this. I don't think it's the amp, and the string isnt touching the pickup either. The action isnt super low, and the pickups are lowered all the way. It still happens when the bass is in passive mode. I recently switched to GHS heavy Boomers (115 low string, sounds great....for a week. But they are cheap!) and the clipping happens less, but still once in a while.
    Is this just because of the hot pickups? Does anyone else use a G&L L-2000 in a low tuning and have this problem?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Yes. I've dropped my pups as low as they can go and almost always use the active input on amps, still very hot output.

3. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Turn the amp up and the bass down. Diming the bass eq also contributes to the problem. G&Ls can have a very high output.

4. I do tend to have everything on the bass cranked. I will dial them down a little at practice today. Thanks guys!

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    One of the first things I learned after playing with this bass was not to crank the bass and treble wide open like I do most of my other basses. Try middle on both pots and go from there. Definitely be ready to rethink you "typical" eq on your amp a bit as well.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The L2000 tone circuit is cut only.
    So, think of wide open as "boost full on" in an active preamp.

Set volume at 90, set bass at 40-50%...try that and I bet you can go back to active mode;)

7. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Believe it or not, the MFD's will actually overload the onboard preamp when you really dig in in active mode. That's how hot the MFD pickups are. On my L2000 this shows up as a sharp "brrap!" at the beginning of the note. My L2500 doesn't seem to have that problem tho, maybe its preamp is a little better than the one in my 2000.

In passive mode, you're likely just overloading the input to your amp. Use the attenuator pad if you have one if you like to play with everything on full (like I usually do), otherwise just turn the vol. down a bit.

LS