1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2K parallel setting...thin sounding to y'all?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by epoxo57, Jun 7, 2007.

1. epoxo57

epoxo57 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Maybe its me, but my L2K' parallel setting, even with the bass boosted on the guitar, seems thin sounding. Granted, I am more of a "series" guy but probably more due to the fact of the thinner sound. Anyone else have similar instances? Now, with my EB Sterling, the opposite is true: Series is a little thinner (but grindier) and parallel is fatter.

And...maybe its just me, but I have been listening to a band where the bass player thumps on a Ken Smith and when I put my L2K to parallel with some boost, I can almost cop the sound. Call me crazy.....:smug:

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    I have not thought that in parallel my L2000 sounded to thin. I generally pluck closer to the bridge which actually makes it sound even more thin. Maybe you are plucking further up on the sterling than you realize. Also, there is the pickup placement. The sterling's pickup is a little closer to the neck than the L2000's bridge pickup (assuming you use the bridge pickup as an anchor).

Kevin W.

3. Mine's still full and meaty...in fact, I've become pretty much a "parallel-only" guy with my L2K. The notes tend to have more definition alongside the MFD tone vice the sound in series (to me). Slap tone is "much" better in parallel as well.

Jay

4. Not thinner, but different. Before I learnt that you should turn down the volume a bit though, I thought the same, because the series setting just sounds louder. If you play with a little headroom, you can compensate for that by turning it up just a little when switching to parallel.

Now parallel even sounds a bit deeper to me in the low frequencies than series...

Series has more grit, as I would call it; maybe that's what you're missing in parallel?

Oh, the wonders of an L-2000...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021