1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

L2KT Control Cavity

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by millahh, Sep 18, 2008.

1. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    I took the control plate off my L2K Tribby a couple of days ago, checking out the lay of the land for making some mods. the first thing I noticed is that it's really tight in there, so much that I may need to change my plans. So my question is this:

Has anyone tried to put two push/pull pots in an L2K Tribby, while still leaving the pre-amp in? If it were a less sensitive part, I might "make it fit", but I don't want to force such a a circuit board to fit.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I put in a stacked volume and 1 push/pull pot for the tone pot and was just able to fit the preamp back in on top of the bass cut pot. Mines a US model, I'm not sure if the Tributes have different sized cavities at all. It is definitely a tight fit the way I have it set up...I also lined the bottom and sides of the preamp board with electrical tape to insure that nothing would ground out.

Karl

3. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Ok, that helps. I'd thought you'd taken the pre-amp out of the bass where you'd made those mods.

I'm looking to replace the vol & bass cut with push/pulls, and have the preamp on top of the treble cut. One will be for "single coil with bass boost", the other will be a cut for the inner coils, so I can get just the outer coils in parallel mode. I'm also going to add the inner coil function by swapping in the three position switch in place of the series/parallel switch.

Good idea with the electrical tape.

4. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You may have found a source, but I've never seen a push/pull pot with a 1Mohm resistance before (to replace the bass cut pot). They do however make 250K and 500K ohm push/pulls...

Karl

5. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Good point! Looks Like I'll be replacing the vol & treble instead...

6. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Correction...basspartsresource sells 1 meg push/pull pots!

7. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good to know! The internet has made just about everything more cheaply available (you used to have to have that particular part custom-made as far as I know!)...