Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LA 12 vs. Commando 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jul 22, 2001.

1. LA 12

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Commando 12

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. OK, my combo choices are forever changing:D. The Peavey Basic 112 and TE Boxer 65 are now out the window, replaced by the SWR LA12 and Trace Commando 12.

The LA12 has 65 Watts output, fx loop, SWR basic preamp, 12" cone. Around £230.

The Commando has 100W, 4 band eq with bright, mid shift and bass boost knobs, fx loop, around £250.

But, I play rock and metal, and I'm wondering which of the two would have more of a tone that I'm looking for. I've only played the Trace Commando 10, and it's nice but I'm not sold on it until I know what the SWR sounds like. I'd like to have 100W, but not if I have to get worse build quality and components for the extra 35W. I play with a pick.

So, what would you buy?

2. Between those two, I would probably pick the Comando 12. I recently tried the SWR LA series and wasnt very impressed. They just didnt seem to get that loud. You might want to consider an Ampeg, for that great pick tone. The B-100r (i think that is what it is) is 100 watts through a 15" speaker. This amp I was pretty impressed with. Good tone and volume, and not too big. Just listen with your ears and pick the best suiting one, as there are many different combos out there to try.

JTBP

3. Any prices on the Ampeg? The 100W model may be a little too pricy, as the BA-110 is out of my price range and its the smallest combo ampeg use, I think.

4. I'd opt for the Trace Commando. I tried the SWR, and didn't like it...like someone else said, it wasn't all that loud and I found it a bit to thin and bright. The Trace sounds warmer in my opinion.

5. Perhaps go for a Workingman combo instead of an LA series...
    I have a Workingman half stack and it's perfect for rock and metal.

6. It's double my price range. So no.

7. TE is out of business, are we talking secondhand.

anyway, half a year ago i bought a TE BLX-130 Combo. Almost had war with Bruce Lindfeld over it (he said it sucked), but im really happy with it. Its built like a tank, which makes it heavy. It sounds really great though. Tons and Tons of bass. I think concerning build qualitity they even up.

I have no experience with the commando amp. I do know that i dont like SWR that much; it sounds way too clean imo, i want a fat, warm sound.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have an LA amp, and it blows major donkey balls. I heard a Trace the other day, and it was absolutely phoenominal. It even sounded good with a Jazz bass! :eek: :D