Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LA Bass Exchange Closed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sufenta, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Anybody know what happened to the LA Bass Exchange. I heard rumors that Long wasn't able to pay his bills and his creditors seized his store and all of the gear? Hope this isn't true. It is/was a great store. His web site seems to be off-line.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yes, they are closed, but it was in no way Long's fault. None.

I found this on the Dude Pit (it was originally posted on Carol Kaye's site):

*****Hi Carol,

How are you doing? I'm sure you're probably aware that the LA Bass Exchange has closed down, but you're probably not aware of what happened. I wanted to drop you a note to let you know the real story. Here is the condensed version...

Upon my return from a much needed two week vacation my former partner (name deleted per Long's request - President of the Amp Shop/Splash Sound) cleaned the store out in the middle of the night and took every last item in the shop (including lighting fixtures) and placed it in hiding at an undisclosed location.

It seems that he was being pressured by those from whom he had borrowed money to repay the note.

He shut down the web page, routed the phone number to a fax line (so you couldn't get through), news papered the front of the store with sign saying "closed for remodeling", and then creditors. Well, everything backfired on him and he's now in the middle of an ugly
    situation that never had to happen. Unfortunately, he had majority share in the corporation and had the power to maneuver as he felt fit.

To this day, he is still in posession of many of my personal possessions including 10 years worth of contacts and information that was kept on my computer in my office and I am unsure if and when I will ever
    see anything from him. I guess they do things differently in Russia than they do here.

I'd appreciate your help in helping to spread the word about the truth and for anyone who would like to contact me they can email me at the address below. Thanks for your help and continued support throughout the years.

Sincerely,
    Long Ly
    long@instanet.com

PS. From Long: I don't necessarily want to air dirty laundry in public, but at the same time, I want people to know what really happened. Unfortunately, many think I just split without any warning and without having any control/access to any files/records/contact info, I cannot do a mass mailing to clear the air. So, I suppose
    anything you could do to help spread the word would be most appreciated.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    that really sucks...

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Thanks so much for posting Long's letter bassmonkee. Long Ly and Dave Avenius are two of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I bought my first Ken Smith from them, bought it and had it shipped sight-unseen, and it arrived in perfect condition and as described. I would not hesitate to do business with them again in any way, shape or form. Here's hoping Long and company can get this terrible situation straightened out...L.A. needs them...badly.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    WOW, sorry to hear for Long.

I actually spoke with him at the shop last year during NAMM. He was a really nice guy and very knowledgeable. The guy working with him was a joke though! Some of the things that fumbled out of his mouth. He even tried to get into an argument over a certain builder and Long finally had to tell him I was correct!

I hope the best for Long!

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Thanks for the clarification. I had a very positive experience buying my first StingRay from Long when he was working at the Bass Center. I'm sorry to hear the LA Bass Exchange is currently shut down. I'm sure Long will bounce back from this.